Pages

Sunday, May 21, 2023

Week 21: Objects as memory triggers

 

I’ve been unable to let this vase go during any of my decluttering although I hadn’t used it since bringing it home after my Mom died. I never saw her use it either but she kept it prominently displayed in her China cabinet. If I remember correctly it was given to her by the mother of two of her high school friends. Regardless, it was a treasured memory triggering object for her.

It works in my new house and it makes me think of my Mom and smile. I got the flowers at Trader Joe’s earlier in the week so I could use it and enjoy the memories along with the flowers.

6 comments:

  1. That vase is a beautiful color. I don't have anything from my mother. she died relatively young and I wasn't interested in anything my sister offered. I had at one point a knitted vest she had made but I gave that away ages ago. My sister( the one who died last year) probably has quite a few things since she lived nearby but that's for her family to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mom treasured objects representing those she loved but I have only kept one or two per person and only if I really liked it. Memories are there no matter what IMO. My Mom's parents both died when she was quite young and she had very little from her parents including no memories of her Mom but very good ones of her Dad.

      Delete
  2. Pretty vases don't need to hold anything to serve their purpose. Yours is beautiful visually and for the memories it brings you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very pretty vase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The baby's breath looks like the delicate flowers on the vase. Perfect arrangement for this pretty vase. So glad you found a place for it in your new house since it holds a special place in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous colour for a vase. The tiny carnations (?) match perfectly.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thriving Thursday Week 13 - Little things edition

Have you heard about the National Association of Realtors settlement agreement related to home sellers having to pay the buyer’s agents comm...