Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Welcome to March! Tulips, Grandpa and the Equal Rights Amendment

 What represents March to you?

For me it is early Spring flowers as I grew up in the Midwest and winter and spring played tag all month. Picked up my favorite early flowers in my favorite color yesterday.


I remember one trip to Descanso Gardens in La Canada, CA when we lived just down the road and there were black tulips blooming. They might have actually been dark purple but they appeared black. Once at Huntington Gardens Library I saw a display of original paintings of tulips from a Tulip Mania era bulb catalog. Glorious variety, colors and shadings.

Lots of people celebrate St. Patrick's Day and I remember being taken out for green beer while on a business trip in Richmond, VA one year. However, March 17th is forever in my memory as my much loved grandfather's birthday. When I was 8-10ish I spent most of every Sunday at my grandparents' home and Grandpa and I had a special bond. Miss him.

It's Women's History month and since my club started as Women's club back in the 1890's and I really wish the Equal Rights amendment would get approved (it's 2022 folks and we are more than half the population! Think it is time already!) I wish we had 12 months of the year to appreciate women's contributions to history and current life. 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful tulips in my second favorite color. I almost stopped to buy sunflowers today to brighten up the house. Maybe tomorrow.

    Would love to have known my grandfathers. They were both hard workers who never had much to show for all their dedication and hard work. I did have a very precious uncle who was the closest thing I had to a grandpa. What wonderful memories you must have of those Sunday visits to your grandparents' home.
    I would like to see us teach black history, Hispanic history, women's history all year-round, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do have wonderful memories of my Grandpa (and Grandma) who lived in the same town. They were my Mom's stepparents but simply my lovely grandparents.

      Delete

Thriving Thursday Week 13 - Little things edition

Have you heard about the National Association of Realtors settlement agreement related to home sellers having to pay the buyer’s agents comm...