I have talked to my 90 year old mom on several occasions about my concern that she has way too little social interaction. She always claims she is fine being by herself but based on other things she says I don't think that is true beyond the minimum that she can get by being alone so much.
I live quite a long way from her and have been calling once a week; my brother and sister-in-law live fairly close and go to see her once a week. What I didn't realize until my brother went on vacation is that he has been calling her daily to make sure she is all right. He asked me to do the daily calls while they are gone which I happily am doing. It has been a revelation.
Mom says she'll just say she is ok and then we can hang up but that has yet to happen. We chat, I listen, we connect and her social isolation is eased a bit by having someone to share her thoughts and experiences with on a daily basis. So easy but I wasn't doing it.
I won't keep calling daily once my brother is back but I will make sure to call at least 3 times a week or more and just chat. A little thing but so important to an elderly person living alone and unable to drive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Five Things Friday #38 - There's a new pup in town, curbside giving & family stuff
1. As you can see, our dog (with the spots) had a "Doodle" party on our front walk Saturday morning. A neighbor brought her new 5 ...
-
Just a boy and some of his toys I turn 76 on Monday and (don't laugh) every time I think or say that I think of the song 76 trombones fr...
-
NPR recently had an article about how to design your dream summer which included access to a printable worksheet by Gretchen Rubin ( 4 ways ...
-
I saw this lilac bush on one of my 7am dog walks and it brought back memories of the lilac bushes in my childhood backyard in Illinois. I re...
You are so right! As my Grandmother and Aunt aged I called more often tahn once a week, we would talk about everything under the sun, such a special time for all of us!!
ReplyDeleteDebby, I'm sure they appreciated those calls.
DeleteThanks for the reminder! I'm off to call my Mom and Dad...even though they have each other, it's important to connect more often!
ReplyDeleteSharon, it is so nice they still have each other. My Mom had never lived alone until my Dad died 3 years ago but she has adapted pretty well.
Delete