Pages

Friday, September 18, 2026

Five Things Friday #37 - It's the little things!

 

Such a sweet book. If you love dogs and want to smile, get it from the library.

1. I requested the book above from our library after reading about it somewhere. I was especially interested in how she drew the dogs, but it is also such a sweet book and a reissue of an old one. Makes me smile and go pet my dog. 

I have so many cute pictures of our dog and it is easy to edit them to black and white to help with my drawing. We'll see!

2. Our son and his family are having the floors in the 100+ year old house replaced (first floor) and refinished (2nd floor). They essentially had to move everything out including themselves and it will take 2 1/2 weeks before they can come back. We went over on Saturday and while Hubby helped dismantle furniture I was the lucky companion to the 3 1/2 year old. 

We did a puzzle of dinosaurs, read a couple of books and then played a silly game of pretending to have our fingers stuck together and the other one had to help get them apart. 

I'd forgotten how kids that age are so willing to go along with silly things that they know in fact are silly but still find entertaining. I rarely have time alone with her so it was a treat.

3. Despite my strong dislike for clothes shopping, I've decide not to keep anything that doesn't fit well or I don't like to wear for whatever reason. If I ever lose the 10 pounds I put on the first year after we moved here I'll just have to shop anyway.

4. Doing short bursts of put off cleaning and other life admin tasks and took a few things off the list. A couple of financial and tech things done, the patio and outdoor furniture cleaned, a couple of windows washed outside. I've also identified several things to buy to replace broken/worn out/missing items (cellular shade pulls, cereal bowls, sleep socks) and am going to make that happen. Small steps forward.

5. Sat outside on the patio for the first time this year and enjoyed a glass of wine and read while the dog laid on the rug and chewed on his bone. It was a lovely day instead of being too foggy, too cold or hot, too windy or too something. Very nice.


8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you really enjoyed your week. We are getting rain again so sitting out on the deck is not happening. Also we would have to fight the blood sucking insects for our place.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get more chances to sit out back before cold weather arrives.

      Delete
  2. I loved the Lucy Dawson book, and I've been meaning to check out the hardback from the library (I originally read it on Kindle, but want to see it on paper!) Your story about the silly games and 3 1/2 yo reminded me of when our grandgirls were that age. I had a kitchen set up for them in a guest 'play' room, and one day I came across a pack of about 12 restaurant order pads. They played 'restaurant waitress' for hours with whoever they could rope into being a customer. One asked me once for my order, and I said I'd like to have some peace and quiet...she gave me a kind of side-eye look and said, we don't have that here. Indeed! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet and funny story about your grandgirls. Playing restaurant was a favorite of our older grandgirl for quite a while and I wish I'd though of the "peace and quiet" response!

      Delete
  3. I like your clothing philosophy. I need to get rid of things in my closet that I probably wouldn't wear even with weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you find it hard to let them go if they are still in good condition? I certainly do but slowly a few at a time they are going. I don't have a big wardrobe but then don't need one.

      Delete
  4. Many times when I decide to get rid of something clothes wise, it either comes back in style or I start looking for it and wish I still had it for one reason or another.
    Your time on the patio sounds delightful. We are hoping that fall is beginning to arrive here. It has been incredibly hot this whole summer.
    Sounds like you and the youngest grandgirl had a big time together. Your poor son and his family having to be out of their house for so long. I cannot imagine. We are having carpet replaced and I thought it would take several days but they said they can do it in a day!! I hope they are right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your new carpet! Son & family are in a nice AirB&B. The hard part was packing up their house as if they were moving and having it all stored in their basement and garage by mover's hired for a few hours. Then they have to do the reverse.

      Delete