Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2023

Week 10: Speeding towards our move

So what happened this week as we speed toward moving on April 2nd?

On the home selling front: We got the results of the termite and HOA inspections which weren't too bad. All the work is scheduled. Now we just have to wait for a buyer inspection and negotiation. 

Sunday 3 more potential buyers and one taking a second look toured our home.  Wednesday, Thursday and Friday each had one showing. I now truly remember why I hated having our home on the market while living in it with a dog!  9 potential buyer showings so far and zero offers - sigh.  

We took the pup out for a 4 hour field trip Sunday while the house was shown. It involved lots of dog joy (Riding in the car! Walks in new places! A pet store visit! People to meet!) while his humans got a couple things off their to do list (new dog address tag ordered & a library stop). Then a visit to the local brewery's outdoor seating. OK, that was for the humans but pup proved to have good “bistro dog manners” as he was worn out and we took something for him to lay on plus water and treats.  

On the moving front: Monday Hubby loaded a 10 foot U Haul truck with boxes of stuff and most of our light weight furniture. Tuesday he drove to the new house and got the keys.  He gave me a FaceTime tour once he was there and I do really like the house even better than from what I saw in the photos. 

Wednesday he unloaded the truck and had the furnace and sump pump serviced. As feared the furnace was installed incorrectly as the crawl space gets wet and the sump pump is not adequate. He contracted to have both fixed and they were done by midday Friday.  An unplanned expense but we expect lots of those in an old house no matter what. We are making a prioritized list for the other systems and structure repairs we do know about.

Thursday he returned the truck and flew home, took the train to our stop and I picked him up there. After he got home he acknowledged that despite all his bike riding the house stairs made muscles ache. It will be getting back in stair climbing shape for both of us!

He had some nice family time. Our 6 year old granddaughter started her campaign for us to pick her up from school every Wednesday and bring her to our house for after school care. Apparently that is the day she has to ride a bus to her after school program and she doesn't like doing that LOL. Hubby told her that we could do it some Wednesdays but not all. 

On the life goes on front: I picked up my new glasses and sunglasses. My vision is so much better! I haven’t tried driving at night yet but I’m sure it will be better too.

I chaired a scholarship fundraising tea at my club as my final act as club president. I’ll truly miss those kind, smart and interesting women who have become friends. They have said the nicest things about me which makes me think I need to say more of those kind of thoughts out loud along the way instead of waiting until someone moves on! 

Decluttering Progress

more items gone - Total YTD = 105 items + lots of paperwork decluttered

5 comments:

  1. "which makes me think I need to say more of those kind of thoughts out loud along the way instead of waiting until someone moves on" - what a good point!
    I'm so glad the process is going pretty well -- or should I say, that you have such a good attitude about the setbacks that it seems like it is going pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've generally got a good attitude about it all despite a mini-meltdown yesterday while driving around with the pup in the pouring rain so someone could look at the house. We have a day off from showings today thankfully.

      Delete
  2. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the house has offers very soon. I often wonder how I would do with people (make that strangers) wondering through my home with my things still there.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We accepted an offer! It is odd to have people going through your house and it is important to depersonalize it and secure financial records, jewelry, etc. At least this time there weren't any open houses for nosy neighbors lol.

      Delete
  3. I think moving when we're Older seems harder, we used to be so Nomadic and moved often in our Younger Years. But, this last move in our Senior Years, so much Cargo... clearly we don't travel light anymore. *LOL* I hope getting settled in your new Home goes well and that the Sale of your old one goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete

Thriving Thursday Week 12 - Spring is here and so are bugs

Welcome to Spring!  It was a nice sunny and warm week so we took a scenic drive exploring parts of Berkeley near the campus and the hills be...