Sunday, March 8, 2020
March Week 1 - Weather swings, happy hour, family dinner, club activities
Then there is the trying to figure out what to stock up on and how to prepare otherwise for a possible quarantine and/or infectious illness in the family. Adding to our basic pantry of food, paper goods including paper plates, bowls and cups as well as toiletries to extend the time we could manage without shopping. Also adding over the counter medicines, health aids like gloves and disinfectant, and foods we don't normally eat in quantity but would if sick and had a very sore throat, etc. After discussion with Hubby that came down to juice, applesauce and soups. I might get a couple of boxes of instant pudding for me.
TAXES: We owe the IRS some taxes for 2019 and of of course our first estimated tax payment for 2020. I am hoping this is the last time we owe money as it was probably caused by under withholding for Hubby's final inherited IRA payout. We had a tiny refund from the state. This year's taxes should be very simple and I will do them myself or use the AARP tax help service there in my community.
- Hubby made me happy by going to Home Depot, getting new weatherstripping for the front door, and installing it. No more visible gap!
- Our problem window panes were replace or sealed. Yeah!
- I found out you can redeem Southwest Airlines points for gift cards. $100 worth of Amazon cards are in the mail to me!
FOOD: I did another stock up shop at Vons. Now I will try alternating Vons and Trader Joes every other week and see how it goes. I know I have to track how much we actually use of perishables in a week so I made a grocery list to note each week how much is used and what we need. I may be making more work for myself rather than less at least in the short run.
We are eating well. Dinners were:
- Sunday: Pork chop, roasted cauliflower, green salad
- Monday: Homemade veggie soup, garlic bread, oranges
- Tuesday: Thai take out
- Wednesday: Sausage with sauteed onion, peppers & cauliflower and salad
- Thursday: Veggie soup and salad
- Friday: Turkey burgers, potatoes, zucchini
- Saturday: Turkey dinner at son's house with us taking wine and apple galette
VOLUNTEERING: Against my better judgement I agreed to be nominated to be President of my service & social club which means almost surely that I will be in that role for 2 years. At least this has given me standing to say yes or no to the rest of the slate. Election is in April so we will see.
- Our DIL's parents have escaped the upper Midwest tail end of winter and are staying in Pasadena. We went over for dinner with all of the above one evening and it was fun even for the dog.
- Went to lunch with a group of women friends after our club board meeting. Great conversations.
- Had my club book discussion group meeting which was interesting and fun as always. We all read what we want and then share the highlights and lowlights as well as book.
So please share what you have been doing!
I walked 39 miles this month with my phone in my pocket. Clearly I walked a lot more than that as I only carry my phone on actual outdoor wa...
HAPPY NEW YEAR ! Welcome to 2023 and let's make it a great year! Challenges will appear, happiness is available and we can support each ...
I am focused this year on being even more intentional than usual in my daily life while continuing to appreciate the present. MOVING? The b...
I try to be upbeat and positive about the present and future but so far this house hunt reminds me of before the pandemic when we were tryin...