Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My Happiness Commandments: Work within the life I have right now

When you first consider this Happiness Commandment you might think - well, duh!  How could I work within a life I don't have right now?  What this means to me though is that my happiness will be greater if I don't spend time wishing things were different and instead look to fill up my life and deal positively with the things I wish were different.  This has been hard for me as of late because I can get caught up in wishing I lived in a different home closer to family and resenting the work required to keep up this home and yard.  So this week I've just been getting on with dealing with it and find I am a bit more content.

So as I have been pulling weeds, pruning bushes and generally doing a lot of yard work I have been trying to think about how it is great exercise and that I am saving us money.  I asked hubby to get out the patio table and umbrella before he left on a business trip so I could enjoy the yard a bit more.  I donated a very large dog crate that was taking up room in the shed.  I didn't scream when the bush I was trimming turned out to have a snake sitting in its branches (shudder).

Inside I rearranged some decorative items to provide a visual change.  I am in the midst of clearing all paperwork off of my desk and working on the papers on other flat surfaces as well.

I have been grateful for having lovely neighbors.  One stopped and asked if we would like to go to a play on Friday night.  Yes please - I'll go although hubby gets home too late from his trip to join us.  In the morning I'm going to call my nearby friend who was recently diagnosed with lupus to see if she feels up to coming over for a cup of coffee or glass of wine.  And I'm going to call another neighbor who I believe is starting up a landscaping business to see if she can take on a small piece of work in our yard that we need to hire out.  Her yard is very lovely so even if I am wrong about the career change she will probably have some people I can call.

I feel better just summarizing how I am working positively within where I live.  Now the question is, can I keep this focus going as the home upkeep workload and cost continues?

6 comments:

  1. Yikes, almost "trimming" a snake sounds scary! But you have a great attitude for life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I am working really hard at having a good attitude and some days I feel more successful at it than others.

      Delete
  2. Love this post Juhli, you are definitely living out the glass is half full side...

    I'm impressed you didn't *scream* with the snake, I'm sure I would have! :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I did back away from the bush rather quickly LOL. I've seen these little snakes in our yard before but never almost touched one.

      Delete
  3. You sound a lot more positive, it really is all a head game we play with ourselves. And yes you do appear to be more successful..
    Now I need to start on my own headspace.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, what our "self talk" can do to us. It is an ongoing effort to keep it positive. Good luck to you.

      Delete

Thriving Thursday Week 13 - Little things edition

Have you heard about the National Association of Realtors settlement agreement related to home sellers having to pay the buyer’s agents comm...