Pages

Sunday, October 15, 2023

Week 41: Rototilling, plant shopping and more

We babysat both grand girls all day on Sunday so our son and DIL could go on a private boat excursion of the SF Bay. They won that adventure at a silent auction and had a marvelous time on a beautiful day. I'm so glad we could give that to them.

The baby was cheerful and took two good long naps. The big grand girl was lovely to spend time with and had a birthday party to attend from mid-afternoon until after dinner. A nice but tiring day. The pup came over for a while and was also good but couldn't settle into his afternoon nap. He actually wanted to go home for a rest lol.

The yard continued! The end is in sight. We agreed to a project price for the final phase. We bought soil amendment, edging, weed cloth, the major plants and 2 outdoor benches. Still to buy are the smaller plants, irrigation supplies and bark mulch. Planting began yesterday!

Taking care of our stuff - This week it was a $142 filter for the fancy furnace. We don’t have AC so that is just a once a year purchase.

Discretionary expenses - The socks I ordered last week arrived. I kept 2 packs identical to ones I am replacing and returned 4 of a different variety that weren’t what I expected. Also returned some jeans that didn’t fit and waterproofing shoe spray that required a different product to be used first. I do find shopping a pain🤪 but I did order a pair of smart wool socks from REI mostly using my member credit.

Food, household, toiletries & alcohol purchases were higher this week as expected. I am hoping the pattern of lower and higher weeks continues low as we stock up and use things. That would cut our monthly expenses in this category significantly. 

All meals were all at home except Sunday when Hubby got take out for lunch and dinner as we babysat all day and were feeling our age! 

October week 2: $204.59 & Month to date: $309.68 vs $948 for all of September so we are doing better.


3 comments:

  1. You are doing very well. Things are just so expensive now and seem to be continuing to rise.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I admit that reading this post made me anxious? The thought of adding all purchases kind of makes me hyperventilate. I need to, since both of us are retired this year, and I know we have not saved enough for year end insurance premiums, taxes, etc.. SO much (!) went into the house maintenance this year. I can't really fathom where to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you are feeling anxious about those annual bills. I have been tracking our spending, income and assets for many years as it helps me feel more confident in our decisions. These big house maintenance expenses though are very impactful.

      Delete

Life happens - Thriving week 38

My social life is looking up. I had a long coffee get together with a neighbor I really enjoy and have another scheduled with a new acquaint...