Pages

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Summer bucket list - Final report

I'm joining in with the summer bucket list challenge wrap up! Please share your summer plans - I love getting ideas from others. Check out all the interesting blogs that have linked up by scrolling to the bottom of this post.


What is working out well is spending time with family, completing many house repairs and getting furnishings, and a moderate level of exercise. As is usual for me I set too many goals but I think what I do get done tells me what I am really interested in spending my time on!

Family & Friends - Lots of success here! I've seen more of my immediate and extended family this summer than in years. Lots of fun, some opportunities to be of assistance and just building stronger connections after 20 years of geographic distance.

A+ See and play with my baby granddaughter for the weekend at least twice - so much fun!
A+ See my local son, DIL & FIL at least 3 times each plus make the aunt, uncle, cousin rounds - Yes!
B Schedule visits with 2 long term local friends/couples - we got together with one couple
C Invite new neighbors/acquaintances out or over 
F Plan and hold a "next generation cousins" get together for my sons' generation of family.

Exercise - I am exercising more than I was except I do miss Pilates and have to decide if I am going to find an instructor again

A+ Take the dog for a long walk each day to help her relax in her new surroundings - since we have no yard this is happening and she is doing much better
C Go to the community based yoga class or use stretch DVD at home at least twice a week when I am in town 
F Use the pool in my community each week! Swim, do water aerobics or just float around. - Don't know why I haven't done this.
F Take a hike on a trail nearby. 

Food - Clearly too ambitious with this set of goals!

A Eat at the beach! - Does the harbor count? Last day of the challenge but we went out to eat there.
B Try three new to us restaurants in our new hometown - had dinner at two
B Go to the local Farmer's Market - we have been a few times 
D Try 3 recipes in my new cookbook, "America's Test Kitchen: The Best Mexican Recipes" - just one and it was delicious
D 3 new summer main dish salads - just one
D Eat on our patio - We did sit out and enjoy a glass of wine 
F Test and decide on 3 large group dishes/menus for future entertaining.
F Try a new cocktail to make at home

Fun & Exploration - I'd count this area as a success

A+ Celebrate my 68th birthday! Been a few trips around the sun since this one. - fun weekend with family.
A+ Go to the nearest art museum and one or more galleries - I am really enjoying the local artist collective gallery
A+ See summer blockbuster movie - Wonderwoman!
A+ Get massages (a change from Get a pedicure and fun nail polish)  - great masseuse 
Go to a local event, fun store or attraction each month - Two so far; music and food trucks and then magic and cocktails
D Read at least one five books from Modern Mrs. Darcy’s Summer Reading Guide - found I didn't enjoy her selections so just read one.

Settling In - Progress but not finished yet

Figure out how to have music playing in house - still need to buy a stereo cabinet and get set up
B Regularly attend one social and/or service group - I signed up for a senior university (OLLI) class that I am really enjoying and also have been attending a yoga class about every other week. 
Finish furnishing and decorating our new home. We need den furniture and shelves for displaying decorative items and/or photos - all that is left is to finish hanging pictures and buy a stereo cabinet and display shelves perhaps.
Finish repairs on home inspection punch list - we are close on this
C Finish creating earthquake/emergency supply stockpile - lots of water and canned goods plus additional first aid supplies so far
F Create a succulent patio garden - NOT enough sun to do this 
F Volunteer for a role in at least one group.



6 comments:

  1. It's great that you evaluated your summer list, Juhli, and made changes to your fall list. I plan to watch Wonder Woman movie tonight. You can tell I'm behind with the latest blockbuster movie :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be curious to know what you think of the movie. Not at all what I expected but engrossing just the same.

      Delete
  2. Um, I don't have a list . . . probably because I'd get too many Fs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list was way too ambitious so way too many Fail items. Story of my life re planning and goals.

      Delete
  3. Love your lists and how much fun you are having. I do have one question: this is the 21st century - why do you need a stereo cabinet? I haven't had a stereo or a stereo cabinet for at least 20 years. I do still have a 300 disc CD player that supports Christmas music but otherwise I don't use it and it sits with the TIVO, Blu-ray player and soundbar in my TV cubby. Maybe you have a different definition of a stereo cabinet than I do though. Keep up the good work and the blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh about the stereo cabinet. Well, we still own a receiver and 5 CD player and good speakers. Quite a few CDs too and they are super easy to buy at the Friends of the Library. Would just like something to sit them on so I can use them LOL.

      Delete

Thriving Thursday Week 11

Happiness, Comfort & Health Woohoo! I walked over 10,000 steps outdoors one day (4.1 miles for this short person) for the first time sin...