Pages

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

I'm weary!

I'm blaming the marathon of moving being over and the letdown that accompanies the end of sustained effort. Or it could be that I'm trying to increase my exercise level but haven't decreased the caffeine intake. Maybe it is that glass of wine each night or the lack of full, interesting days. Perhaps the lingering effect of the recent flu shot

Don't know but I'm just plain tired right now. We went out to eat last night at a no effort restaurant and I lounged on the couch another night while Hubby made dinner. I'm doing one major household chore a day rather than a day of chores. Took a nap one day. Hopefully this will pass soon.

My usual response is to up my activity level and try to power through it unless I can see that I am actually ill in which case I take to the couch or bed if possible. This time I am considering whether or not to do optional things and only doing them if they are energizing me.

So I'm making progress on my September goal list but cutting back on it too. Phone calls instead of travel for example. 

Family and Friends Related

Meet up with cousins during their vacation
·        Go to visit granddaughter using credit with Southwest plus some more
Have lunch with elderly aunt and uncle – we had a long phone call instead
·        Arrange to get together with another cousin and an old friend
Write aunt and a cousin
Call friend in former location to hear about her vacation in Italy

Personal
Pick out a pattern to make a small cross body purse
       ·        and get fabric
So far so good - Keep promise to myself by stretching and exercising daily starting 9/9
·        Add one more weekly activity to my yoga class and OLLI class (sewing group, genealogy, music & motion?)
Get flu shot

Cross Country Move Related
Came by to see what needs to be done & hope to get bit and appointment soon - Schedule handyman service for:
-        Recirculating pump installed and outlet under sink removed
-        Holes in attic firewall between garage and living area repaired
-        Back door threshold repair
Shutters for family room window ordered
·        Update wills, power of attorney, health care power of attorney, living trust
·        Identify items needed for earthquake/emergency supplies & bug out kits for home & car; start purchasing
Purchased additional first aid items; started a backpack for car with shoes, flashlight, survival blanket, some first aid supplies, bottles of water

Retirement Related
Hubby sign up for Medicare Parts A & B

Others Added
Welcome to Medicare appointment
DDS appointment and insurance

14 comments:

  1. Sometimes it just feels like one is slogging through molasses all day every day. Hope your mojo is back very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love that description! And then my mind goes to the Great Molasses Flood in Boston eons ago and then to gingerbread ...

      Delete
  2. Post-move letdown ... I'm suffering a bit of that myself. Life will pick up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is like our purpose for being was so focused and then? I am actually just hoping my body gets re-energized LOL

      Delete
  3. We got back from Greece just yesterday and I've got the fatigue that comes from jet lag. I've experienced it before, though, so I have made no plans for the next two days. I unpack and take care of paperwork as I'm able, then allow myself to lie down. It will pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would cause significant jet lag. Hope you are feeling back "in place" soon.

      Delete
  4. I've read your blog for a very long time and have never commented but today's just hit me like a ton of bricks! We moved a couple of months ago also and you described EXACTLY like I have been feeling for the last week or so - down to the glass of wine every night and exercising every day. Hope this passes soon - for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment and sharing your own situation. I spent yesterday taking Tylenol, drinking lots of coffee and going ahead and having my scheduled orthopedic massage. Still tired but not as discouraged by it. I hope you feel back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did a big move not quite two years ago and I experienced a similar letdown. We moved in November, and I was determined to have the house in shape by Christmas. I mailed out cards and had the Christmas tree up by early December, bought presents, made holiday treats, etc. I also made a quick trip to visit our son, who had also recently moved to a new state. After the first of the year I crashed and did the bare minimum. I gave myself permission to relax and not push things for a while. I gradually added a few activities, such as yoga. After a month or so I felt a bit restless and knew I was ready to get more active. I think you have to trust your gut and recognize when you need some down time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experience. Seems like the tiredness and need for some downtime if a common aftermath of a big move.

      Delete
  7. Hi Juhli, I appreciate this post in that we are still pushing hard through our house renovations, and I suspect I may experience what you've described once we are finally finished in October. The stress of having constant disruption and strangers/workers in the house is significant, but I suspect I won't understand just how significant until we are finally finished. A puddle of exhaustion may well be where I land!

    With regard to building friendships and activities in your new location, it occurred to me yesterday that the girlfriend I had over visiting me was someone I first met two years ago. She is now a very good friend, and I had an 'aha' that one year as a minimum is the length of time it takes to move someone from 'acquaintance' to 'friend,' so hang in there and keep moving forward!

    And also consider checking out MeetUp.com for more ways to find fun things to do in your new area, as well as meet more people. Whatever your interest(s), it's almost guaranteed that there will be a Meet Up group that fits. Keep pushing! The right groups and people will eventually show up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks once again for your encouragement and sharing your own experiences.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a lot of us are feeling worn out and suffering from a bit of let down. I started working full-time (temporarily) and it is truly whooping my butt! I am achy and tired and having trouble sleeping. Hopefully, now that fall is here, with cooler temps, I hope to become re-energized. Hope you will, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thriving Thursday Week 11

Happiness, Comfort & Health Woohoo! I walked over 10,000 steps outdoors one day (4.1 miles for this short person) for the first time sin...