Pages

Friday, July 21, 2017

My Summer Bucket List - July Update

I'm joining in with the summer bucket list challenge! Please share your summer plans - I love getting ideas from others.


Family & Friends
1.      See and play with my baby granddaughter for the weekend at least twice.
√ Nice long weekend at her house in Berkeley
2.      See my local son, DIL & FIL at least 3 times each plus make the aunt, uncle, cousin rounds
√ Saw my FIL once but the son & DIL are so busy lol! We also went to a cousin's for dinner.
3. Plan and hold a "next generation cousins" get together for my sons' generation of family.
4. Invite new neighbors/acquaintances out or over.
√ Invited a neighbor to go to yoga with me and was invited to go out with other neighbors but had a commitment.
5. Schedule visits with 2 long term local friends/couples

Exercise
6. Use the pool in my community each week! Swim, do water aerobics or just float around.
FAIL
7. Go to the community based yoga class or use stretch DVD at home at least twice a week when I am in town.
C+ - about every other week for once time so far
8. Take the dog for a long walk each day to help her relax in her new surroundings. 
B-  on this but doing better than we were
8. Take a hike on a trail nearby.
Food
10. Try three new to us restaurants in our new hometown.
√ dinner at Snapper Jack’s Taco Shack
11. Try 3 recipes in my new cookbook, "America's Test Kitchen: The Best Mexican Recipes".
à Saut̩ed chicken with roasted corn and tomato salsa
12. Eat at the beach!
√ We did take a walk along the beach and pier
13. Go to the local Farmer's Market on Saturdays when we are in town and in need of fruit and veggies.
√ I've been twice
14. Test and decide on 3 large group dishes/menus for future entertaining.
15. Try a new cocktail to make at home
16. 3 new summer main dish salads
17. Eat on our patio
We did sit out and enjoy a glass of wine 
Fun & Exploration
18. Celebrate my 68th birthday! Been a few trips around the sun since this one.
19. Go to the nearest art museum and one or more galleries. 
√ I went to the Carnegie Art Museum and associated gallery in Oxnard
20. Go to a local event, fun store or attraction each month.
Classic Cars & Food Trucks Fete at Camarillo Ranch 
21. See summer blockbuster movie -
Wonderwoman
22. Get a pedicure and fun nail polish
23. Read at least five books from Modern Mrs. Darcy’s Summer Reading Guide.
I read one, The Jane Austen Project, and found it not that great. Not sure if I'm going to keep going with her list but I will keep reading
Settling In
24. Volunteer for a role in at least one group.
25. Regularly attend one social and/or service group.
26. Finish furnishing and decorating our new home. We need den furniture and shelves for displaying decorative items and/or photos.
July: ordered den furniture
27. Finish repairs on home inspection punch list.
Had some electrical repairs made with more to come once get parts. Found a handyman and waiting for bid.
28. Finish creating earthquake/emergency supply stockpile. 
29. Create a succulent planter garden for the patio. 
NOPE: Turns out we don’t get enough sun
30. Figure out how to have music playing in our home (TV, computer, buy a new CD player?)
Decided to use the computer and TV for now.

 

10 comments:

  1. It's only been four weeks and you've made great progress on your list. Well done, Juhli. I used to go to the movie theatres frequently but haven't done that for a while. I may add "see a movie" to my Fall fun list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You have accomplished quite a few items on your list. I also should add see a movie to my list. I have been trying to set up a movie night out with my girlfriends for months now. Maybe having it on a list will help me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julhi, It sure looks like you are continuing to settle in and enjoy your new community! How are you finding the summers compared to your prior home in Atlanta? Hopefully much cooler!

    BTW - did your new Sprouts open, and have you gotten there if so? Hopefully, if 'Yes' to both questions, you are loving the produce prices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do feel settled in - now to make some friends! Sprouts did open locally but I haven't gone yet as I am trying the farmer's market instead. Much cooler here than in Atlanta and more humid than expected - very nice so far.

      Delete
  4. You are doing so well with that list.
    Have you thought about Using a music streaming system like Spotify with your computer or iPad and wireless speakers like Sonos. I find this works really well. I have a larger speaker in the sitting room with smaller speakers in my sewing room and kitchen. I can download the music I want, when I want and if necessary different music in those rooms too. I am so pleased with this system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to explore that once we have den furniture in place.

      Delete
  5. So many of us have swimming on our lists! And we have all struggled to accomplish our swimming goals. Maybe we can make a concerted effort to all swim between now and next update.

    I like the idea of music playing throughout the house, too. I have a record player that I listen to when I am cleaning the kitchen. Have enjoyed reconnecting with some of my favorite vinyl!

    Just curious, how do you create a check mark? Would love a lesson!!

    You have accomplished so much just under the huge umbrella of moving so now you can concentrate on some of the less strenuous goals for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I walk by the pool all the time but don't go in. I think it is the having to wash my hair again issue lol. The check mark is just the symbol from Word copied and pasted.

      Delete
  6. I love your list--especially the food items. Good luck on these. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have quite a lot of ticks there so don't be too harsh on yourself. It is still Summer for you so just keep working through the list. Enjoy your Summer!
    Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond

    ReplyDelete

Thriving Thursday Week 11

Happiness, Comfort & Health Woohoo! I walked over 10,000 steps outdoors one day (4.1 miles for this short person) for the first time sin...