Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Engine 2 Diet/Plant Centric Eating

Oh, the internet and social media do drive our choices these days don't they. I saw a posting on Facebook about a friend attending the Engine 2 Diet Challenge kick off at her local Whole Foods store, looked up when it was happening at my nearby store and signed up. I went to the first of 4 sessions tonight which was on cutting out dairy products which is relevant because Hubby is somewhat lactose intolerant and uses light plain soy milk although he eats some cheese. It was interesting and we got to try different nut, oat, soy, etc. milks. I won a carton of almond milk. What I didn't do was by the Engine 2 Diet book for $25. They have a website with lots of recipes and Whole Foods has recipes on their website too. And of course vegan recipes abound.

I am interested though in seeing how we can change our diet to help reduce our marginally high "bad" cholesterol levels. Tonight's dinner was ratatouille (always makes me smile while thinking of the movie of the same name), sourdough French bread (thanks Trader Joe's) and salad. Oops, forgot the wine for me and beer for Hubby.

Next week focuses on how to eliminate meat/poultry/fish - which we will simply reduce. I like being able to try different products without buying them so I will keep going. It helps me decide what to try which will increase our repertoire of foods.

A recipe passed out tonight was for kale-almond bruschetta which I think I will try for the next book club meeting.

Are you making any changes this year in your cooking or eating habits to improve your health?

4 comments:

  1. I will be interested to hear how you do, Juhli. We've been "mostly" veggie at our house for a year and a half - Rom uses soy milk and I do dairy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting as I am the one who would have to give up cheese and yogurt LOL. I gave up milk as it was spoiling before I used it up and joined the soy milk party. My plan is to increase the amount of vegetables even more and to find vegan recipes to add to our main dish category. We aren't planning to give up meat, poultry and fish all together.

      Delete
  2. We've cut waaaay back on red meat. We still eat plenty of fish and chicken and pasta though. Wanna cut back on cheese ... again, to lower our consumption of animal fat. Don't see anything wrong with 1% milk though. Now . . . if only I could cure my addiction to ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese is my personal downfall along with desserts for snacks.

      Delete

Thriving Thursday Week 13 - Little things edition

Have you heard about the National Association of Realtors settlement agreement related to home sellers having to pay the buyer’s agents comm...