Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day - in memory of my Dad and celebration of my hubby

Hubby and I went out to a comedy improv show and dinner last night to have an early celebration of Father's Day so he can watch the end of the US Open today. Since our son's are a long way away this was a great solution as laughing is so good for us and he does love watching his golf.

A retro nose to nose picture of Dad and me
This morning though I find myself thinking about my Dad who died a few years ago. He was not a talker but did find joy in life. He was so sure that he would die during WWII that when he survived he continued to celebrate being alive, albeit quietly. His thought that he would die was realistic as he headed off to serve on a bomber crew in the European theater at a time when very, very few men survived their tour of duty. He had wanted to become an architect and was set to attend Dartmouth before he enlisted. After the war he did not pursue that but rather worked as a commercial illustrator and a magazine editor before being laid off right after I was born. My Mom's stepparents finally offered him a job working for them at their photography studio and store so when I was 6 months old and my brother 3 1/2 we moved from NH to IL with $25 left in my parent's pockets. We moved into a house purchased and furnished by my grandparents and my Dad started working 6 days a week and never complained as I recall.

Later in life he found true joy in being a glider pilot, retiring back to NH and doing amazing pastel portraits. He faced head on lots of cardiac related health problems always saying yes to any surgery or intervention that could keep him alive. When I would ask him how does it feel to be  80, 85, etc. he always answered "It sure beats the alternative!". He died when he was 88 having lived longer than either of his brothers or his parents.

I like to think I am a lot like him in the sense that I enjoy the present and look forward to the future rather than dwelling on the past or worrying unnecessarily. I have a bit of his artistic talent. I don't have his patience, attention to detail or apparent calmness in the face of difficulties. I miss him a lot and am glad he was my Dad.

We are lucky to still have my FIL with us and I don't want to miss adding him to the day's thoughts. He is 86 and struggling with health problems too but always happy to talk on the phone or have us visit. I love him a lot too and am glad to be part of his clan.

Today's Decluttering Items
2 tops, shorts, capris - all to a thrift store

4 comments:

  1. Nice remembrance. Wow, he showed some courage to go back and be a glider pilot after those experiences in WWII. They don't make 'em like they used to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He loved flying and wanted to be a pilot during the war but couldn't due to his vision. The pilot of his crew wanted everyone to be able to fly the plane in an emergency and taught them to copilot event though he wasn't supposed to. Dad found great joy in piloting his glider for many years.

      Delete
  2. Lovely tribute. He reminds me of my deceased father-in-law...also a WWII vet, quiet, and loved flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, he was a sweet Dad and truly a gentle man.

      Delete

The toddler eats rocks and other moments - Thriving Week 18

So what is that about the baby eating rocks? We decided Sunday morning to invite the family over for Sunday dinner and to spend time on the ...