Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Good summer reads - what do you suggest?

Lately I have only read about one out of four books I have checked out from the library as I couldn't plow through the others. I did just read Joseph Kanon's Istanbul Passage and enjoyed it thoroughly. My 92 year old Mom just finished Jon Meecham's biography of Thomas Jefferson and found it interesting enough to take notes on some of the sayings attributed to Jefferson - all of which I would have thought came from Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanac. I've listed them below - what do you think?

I'm looking for suggestions re: what to read this summer. There is a great discussion on recommendations for summer reads going on at The Non-Consumer Advocate and I have added some of those to my list. But I need more - lots more!

What are you reading? What makes a good read for summer? HELP.

Sayings attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today.

Never trouble another for what you can do yourself.

Never spend your money before you have it.

Never buy what you do not want because it is cheap, it will be dear to you.

Pride costs us more than hunger,thirst and cold.

We never prepant of having eaten too little.

Nothinsg is troublesome that we do willingly.

How much pain have cost us the evils which have never happend.

Take things always by the smooth handle.

When angry, count to ten before you speak; if really angry count to a  hundred.

Today's Decluttering Items
Blouse

3 comments:

  1. Okay, there maybe too many, but
    'Out of Circulation' ,is a cute library mystery, you might enjoy.
    'The Racketeer' by Grisham is fabulous.
    'The Devil in the White City' , was intriguing . Non fiction.
    'The Orchardist ' , is good, a little depressing.
    That's all I read in the last few weeks, if I see some more at the library, I'll add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina. I hadn't hear about "Out of Circulation" and have it on my list.

      Delete
  2. New Fiction -
    'The Night Circus' by Erin Morgenstern
    'The Language of Flowers' by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

    Classic Fiction -
    Jane Eyre
    Wuthering Heights
    Anything by Charles Dickens

    Non fiction -
    'Unbroken' by Laura Hillenbrand
    'Dearie' by Bob Spitz


    ReplyDelete

A crow shouting match & a charming book - Thriving week 20

I borrowed this book from the library and it was surprisingly charming. Inspired during the worst of the pandemic by the need to have someth...