Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Do you make soup stock?

When asked the other day if there was anything he'd like me to get at the grocery store, Hubby said brisket. I ended up with a pot roast (almost half the price per pound and basically tastes the same) which I cooked in a broth of thinned tomato sauce with Worcestershire sauce, onions, garlic and pepper added. It came out tender and yummy. We have a lot left!

I always turn a roast chicken into stock and then soup, but haven't done that with brisket in the past. Today I am taking the leftover broth from cooking the pot roast, added my cache of vegetable ends, peels and cooking water plus some spices and I am taking a stab at making a broth to use for a minestrone type soup. I'll just use a bit of the pot roast and the rest will be served as leftover slices of meat.

Do you make homemade stock for soup? What is your favorite soup to make from scratch?

6 comments:

  1. I do make lots of soup from scratch, but usually use ready made stock. We just had homemade minestrone and I used vegetable stock, wine and a little V8 for the liquid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your minestrone was very good! I like homemade stock because I am on a low salt diet and I can make it with no salt. I do buy low sodium versions as well when needed.

      Delete
  2. I primarily use vegetable stock these days, and have been idly wondering if it's less expensive to make from scratch. This post was the nudge I needed to check into that a little further. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious to hear if you are successful. I always throw veggie scraps into chicken stock when making it so I did it this time too to add flavor and nutrition.

      Delete
  3. Ummm, not soup, but B is cooking up a big pot of meatballs even as I read and write this. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Self and Home Care - Thriving Week 17

Healthy self care is a challenge when I am stressed, lonely or bored and the sugar, salt, alcohol goodies call to me. I am trying very hard ...