Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Menu Plan for week - cooking from what is on hand

We ended up having leftovers a couple of nights last week plus I made chili which wasn't planned, so I can carry over three planned dinners and there is truly enough food in the house to make a week of dinners if I add fresh fruit and vegetables. I'm aiming for at least 3 vegetarian meals. So here's our dinner plans for the coming week.

From last week's plan
- Chicken tostadas, fruit salad
- Breaded haddock, coleslaw, leftover cornbread
- Leftover pork roast, coleslaw, carrots & squash
From what is on hand
- Salmon, broccoli, grapefruit
- Veggie pizza or pasta, salad 
- Vegetable barley soup
- Leftover sweet 'n sour chicken and rice, spinach

I have been reading a very touching blog, Notes from the Frugal Trenches, written by a single Mom to two adopted children.There are many reasons to be touched by her blog however I am inspired by her Month of Nothing (Extra) this month. She is spending as little as possible so she can give more despite her own needs.When I read the list of what she will buy eventually I feel very spoiled. When I read about the activities she and her children are doing without spending extra money I feel a desire to be more creative. When I read about her efforts to spend meaningful time with friends I feel inspired.

I like the idea of buying nothing extra and am going to apply it to food/household goods/toiletries for a month. Obviously I will spend, but only on the bare minimums. Since we are way over our planned budget in this category already in 2013, this should help us get back on track. I won't be buying anything extra no matter how good the coupons or sales. We don't need to stock our home. I can do that!

What I will spend on: food that is store-bought, off brands if possible, in season fruits and veggies if possible, and only when I run out of stuff in cupboards, frig, freezer (or nearly out of crucial things like toilet paper!).

Anyone want to join in for February?

I'd like to make a donation to The Decatur Cooperative Ministry that addresses local needs for food and shelter by providing short and long term solutions. Their mission is to help families prevent, endure, and overcome homelessness. This organization was not on our list of planned donations for 2013, but will be receiving a donation from us on March 1st.

We could make the donation regardless, but I think for me the discipline of buying nothing extra; only buying what we absolutely need will be a learning experience. It has thankfully been many decades since I had to manage my finances that carefully, but taking an even closer look at need vs wants will help me focus my intentions even more.



 Linking up with I’m an Organizing Junkie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Focusing on ease of maintenance - Thriving Week 16

CURRENT MINIMALISM MINDSET  After one year in this house I’m not stopping decluttering or reorganizing as appropriate but every time I clean...