Pages

Friday, October 9, 2026

Five Things Friday #40 -

1. We spent Friday afternoon with our son at his house armed with vacuums, Clorox wipes and dust cloths. The new & refinished floors look amazing, but sanding wood floors in every room but the bathrooms leaves a lot of dust everywhere including on windows, walls and lights. We focused on the bedrooms and stair railing. We got the 3 bedrooms including closets done and the stair railing mostly done. Whew.

We were treated to a whole family dinner of bucatini and meatballs made by our son at our house. Saturday we had a "special time" with the 3 1/2 year old at our house so no one would have to watch out for her while the movers took everything back into their house. She was really good and fun.

They finished so late on a hot 97 degree day that they spent Saturday night with us as well. I was so tired Sunday that I totally vegged, but it was fun spending so much time with all of them.

2. We did not make it to the annual art show at the rec center because it was the same weekend we were busy helping our son's family. 

3. We had a 6 day heat advisory here starting Oct 1st. The 1st day was the worst as the "feels like" temp reached 97 which is quite unusual in the East Bay. 

We continue to be very glad we had a mini-split heat pump installed upstairs as it gives us AC up there and helps cool the main floor a bit. I got some use out of my summer dresses at least!

4. Apparently when I am very busy and/or it is quite hot I fall down spectacularly on my exercise goals. Such was this week until Wednesday when I managed a 2 mile walk before it got too hot. 

For 10/1-7 my daily outdoor walking average was 1 3/10ths miles instead of my target of 2 miles but better than my September average. I can't be bothered to carry my phone around inside to track that so I know I walked more.

5. I received notice via email on 10/3 that my mail in ballot had been posted to me and if I didn't get it within a week to contact the county Registrar's office. Received the ballot on 10/7. Lots decisions to make  before voting including on 14 Propositions some of which nullify others! I'll get it completed and walk it to the dropbox by Monday.

 AND

Our 6 month car insurance bill went up $169 sigh. However our earthquake insurance stayed the same price.

The best gas price near us is $6.38/gal. 

We continue to shop at Trader Joe's and The Grocery Outlet for the best values. We supplement with occasional forays to the farmer's market, our little corner market, CVS and Safeway plus twice a year Amazon subscription to get specific things not available at those two stores. If we were more than a family of 2 we would join Costco I'm sure. 


8 comments:

  1. The heat in the Bay Area is so unusual. We were warm here too, but at 93 as a high, it wasn't too bad. Plus, I mentioned the angle of the sun is so different this time of year that by 4, the sun is over near the big pines. If you got the Costco basic, you'd get that back within one or two shops. You just can't beat it for some things. It really saves me a lot of money. I think the basic is $65?. Costco is big, though, and takes some adjusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may reconsider Costco in the future but Hubby does most of the shopping and is happy with his routine right now.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that makes sense if he does the shopping.

      Delete
  2. Juhli, I didn't realize you were baking up there just as we were down south. I feel your pain!

    Our temps broke just today, so hopefully you are experiencing same cooling trend.

    And what good parents you are to help your son and family with clean up from wood floor refinishing. We went thru that once, and I simply could not believe how much wood dust got produced. Daunting would be an understatement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is positively chilly today but the heat isn't running - yet. Hope your weather gets to be better too.

      Delete
  3. Wow, gas prices for you are insane. I filled up today and it was a little over $3.50. Right now it feels like summer here and my A/C is chugging away. Looking forward to a REAL fall, hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many reasons our prices are so high - no inbound pipelines from other states due to Rocky Mtns thus local refining only, smog/air quality requirements, etc.

      Delete
  4. My goodness you are very warm. Here we are below historical highs and lows for this time of year. I have taken to turning on the electric fireplace heat for an hour or so to take the chill off the front of the house.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete