Pages

Friday, July 24, 2026

Five things Friday #29



Spotted on a dog walk.
Apparently there is a small population of Monarch butterflies that lives year round here. 

1. My big brother turned 80 on Sunday - how did we get so old!  I'm glad we are both still alive and healthy as are our spouses, children and grandchildren. I've had lots of childhood memories involving the two of us popping up as I think about this milestone. He is only person left who has known me all my life. We live on opposite sides of the country now so I rarely see him though we do talk on the phone once in a while.

2. While browsing the internet I came across a blogger saying they have "general malaise". Yes! My energy has got up and gone the last week so I have really lowered my expectations about what I get done. Hopefully this changes soon.

3. Whew - I finished cleaning one side of the garage aka laundry/storage room. Since it is the one with all the tools, yard stuff and stored fix-it materials it took some time. We use one of those long folding banquet tables as a workbench as it was given to us. I always assumed it was permanently stained but decided to scrub with Barkeeper's Friend and found it was mostly just ground in dirt! Since we also lend it out for birthday parties at our son's home that is a win. Although I can't clean the entire perimeter because we are storing things for our son while their house is renovated, I can do the laundry & water heater wall and half of another. Onward.

4. Did our monthly CVS and ACE Hardware shopping and saved $20 between an ACE coupon and CVS odd deals on their overpriced items (like buy 2 get one 50% off). I am determined to remember that ACE carries lots of home cleaning products and home goods instead of going to CVS, Safeway or Target for those. This time it was Barkeeper's Friend, a replacement filter for our Dustbuster and a roll of packing tape. Exciting huh.

5. Last week I wore a loose sleeveless dress one day and loose linen pants and tops other days along with sandals. This week started with sweaters or fleece, sweatpants or jeans, and wool socks. We currently have both a fan and a space heater aimed at where the dog sleeps on the couch so we can keep him comfortable regardless of the day's temperature. The joys of the wild summer weather variation where I live.

4 comments:

  1. We had a wonderful couple day reprieve from the heat. Much needed rain today but it seems it'll just be very light a d only an hour ir so. We desperately need rain. Happy birthday to your brother. There's 20 years between my oldest brother who passed away last year and youngest sister. I was born his senior year of highschool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a big age difference! We are 3 years apart and there are no more siblings.

      Delete
  2. Still hot as blazes here, but the humidity makes it seem worse. We have been under a heat advisory all week. I have a brother who is 82 and I hear from him very rarely. A 16 year age gap makes it hard to find common interests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a big age gap. We are only 3 years apart and connect well when we do connect. Have led very different lives at a distance though. I'm lucky in knowing he cares.

      Delete

Five things Friday #29

Spotted on a dog walk. Apparently there is a small population of Monarch butterflies that lives year round here.  1. My big brother turned 8...