Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Explore where you moved to in a targeted way

We have mentioned to each other several times that we were surprised there wasn't a really good bakery in our new hometown. So while we were driving Saturday I decided to see if there really wasn't or if we just hadn't found it. Enter a list from Google and a 1 1/2 hour dog grooming session to wait out in a very hot day.

I first went and joined AAA to check off another of those move to-do items I never finished. Then I drove around trying to find all the bakeries on my list.

I now have a list of a very expensive bakery that looks to be quite good or at least quite visually appealing in terms of cakes and pastries, a cupcake place I know is delicious, and a busy Mexican style bakery and lunch spot.

Some samples may even have been purchased and eaten in the name of research - hot chocolate cupcake anyone? Delicious.
Spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate
Spiced chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream, whipped cream, cinnamon dust, and chocolate shavings

While driving around I also found a newly opened Tifa Chocolate and Gelato which is apparently their second location in the county, a Noah's Bagels, and a charming little bookstore called Mrs. Fig's Bookworm.

I was unable to find one of the bakeries on my list so will do more research to see if it still exists. So many businesses here are in mini-malls and thus are hard to see from the street even if you have an address.

Yesterday I stopped in at the town aquatic center to register for private swim lessons and found it is quite a lovely facility. Waiting to hear if I got a spot to work with an instructor to refine my lap swimming technique. If I do it is 4 half hour lessons a week for 2 weeks. Way to get back into swimming or truly decide it isn't for me.

Tomorrow a new friend and I are going to try the women owned wine bar in one of the mini-malls as a lunch outing. It looks like they have good salads and sandwiches on their menu.

I am now inspired to come up with more lists of things to research and try in my new hometown.

3 comments:

  1. Have you had swimming lessons as an adult? I have been tempted to learn to swim efficiently. We have pools at our housing complex but I think that lap swimming is something else. We lack a nearby (walkable) bakery as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had lessons since I was about 10. I can swim but my technique is not very good any more - nor my endurance. I haven't heard yet if I got a spot so will call in the morning.

      The bakery thing is a reaction to having been able to walk to several delicious restaurants, a bakery, gelato place, independent coffee shop, etc. in Atlanta. No such luck here but we can drive once we find them lol.

      Delete

Planning My Week

SHOPPING I’m trying to keep this week’s stock up shop lower than average. We are in need of lots of fresh veggies including salad stuff plus...