Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Where to go when you have a health problem and no doctor's appointment

Yesterday evening, as we contemplated the 6" by 4" welt/bright red area on my thigh which was the result of a bug sting 36 hours earlier, we wondered whether or not I needed to see a doctor. Deciding it was probably multiple yellow jacket stings as it happened when I was doing yard work and I felt the stings, I did some internet research, tried some different salves we had and waited a bit. I later decided to head off to the nearest Urgent Care Center. They were closed so I headed to the nearest CVS Health Clinic. They were closed so I came home and put more salve on it. It is looking better this morning but I wanted to share this very helpful chart that I found on my health insurance website.

I can't get the headings over the correct columns so please move them all one column to the right in your mind LOL!

Retail Health Clinic
 Walk-in Doctor's Office
Urgent
Care
Center
                                                                                        Emergency Room
Animal bites


 
✓
  • Sudden or unexplained loss of consciousness
  • Signs of a heart attack, such as sudden/severe chest pain or pressure
  • Signs for a stroke, such as numbness of the face, arm or leg on one side of the body; difficulty talking; sudden loss of vision
  • Severe shortness of breath
  • High fever with stiff neck, mental confusion and/or difficulty breathing
  • Coughing up or vomiting blood
  • Cut or wound that won't stop bleeding
  • Possible broken bones
  • Poisoning
  • Stab wounds
  • Sudden, severe abdominal pain
  • Trauma to the head
  • Suicidal feelings
  • Partial or total amputation of a limb
Stitches


✓
X-ray


✓
Back pain

 
✓
✓
Mild asthma

✓
✓
Minor headache

✓
✓
Sprain, strain

✓
✓
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea

✓
✓
Bumps, cuts, scrapes
✓
✓
✓
Burning with urination
✓
✓
✓
Cough, sore throat
✓
✓
✓
Ear or sinus pain
✓
✓
✓
Eye swelling, irritation, redness or pain
✓
✓
✓
Minor allergic reaction
✓
✓
✓
Minor fever, colds
✓
✓
✓
Rash, minor bumps
✓
✓
✓
Vaccination
✓
✓
✓

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's officially Fall and projected to be 85 here in a week!

I know I've talked a lot about the weather since we moved to East Bay but here we go again! Late September and early October seem to hav...