Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Change up your reading routine

Last Fall I joined a service and social club that has a reading group made up of some of the members but is different from most book clubs. We all simply read what we want and come talk about what we really enjoyed. If we are interested we can work towards different levels of accomplishment using the categories provided by the national women's club organization.

This has led to getting me to read a bit beyond my usual mysteries and fiction with a few others thrown in rarely.

So what have I enjoyed reading this year that I probably wouldn't have read otherwise?

Unmarriageable: Pride and Prejudice in Pakistan by Soniah Kamal (a novel)

Underground: A Human History of the Worlds Beneath our Feet by Will Hunt (history, travel, memoir)

The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythel (memoir)

The Library Book by Susan Orlean (history)

The Mistresses of Cliveden by Natalie Livingstone (about a famous British grand home!)

What have you been reading?

13 comments:

  1. Only book club reads, which I'm enjoying, but there doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to read my own stuff in between. A good problem, but still . . .

    Reading 'War and Peace' for my classic book club, which I am enjoying trmendously, and 'I Am Not Your Negro' for my other. Just watched the corresponding documentary on Amazon Prime for the latter, and now a hugh fan of the author/activist, James Baldwin, who I'd not heard of previously.

    I have 'The Bakers Secret' sitting on a chair outside, which I'm hoping to start this afternoon. That one is just for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, War and Peace - don't think I ever made it through that one. James Baldwin is a great author. Going to look up The Bakers Secret. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I order a couple through the library that they had always need to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read "If Beale Street Could Talk" after seeing the movie. "The Witch Elm," a mystery by Tana French. And "Barracoon" by Zora Neale Hurston about a man on the last slave ship to America. These are the good ones; I've read a few that aren't so good which I won't mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great list - off to see about them for future reading

      Delete
  4. I'm reading Becoming Human by Jean Vanier and a mystery by Michael Connelly The Gods of Guilt. I 'm not really that interested in the mystery. I've also got a book that I picked up at the used book store called Cooking for Picasso. Book club will be discussing A Gentleman in Moscow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked The Library Book very much but couldn't imagine that it would appeal to many people. It seemed like something written more for librarians than anyone. Or serious bookworms!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or those of us who live in the LA area and have been to the library LOL. I found it a fascinating combination of history, architecture and sociology.

      Delete
  6. Of all those on the list, The Library Book makes me want to search for it. I'm not a librarian or an Angeleno, so maybe that makes me a serious bookworm. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an interesting book from my point of view.

      Delete
  7. I think I would enjoy The Mistresses of Cliveden; I like biographies of historical figures, especially English. My favorite novelist is Anthony Trollope and I am reading his The Warden for the second time.

    ReplyDelete

Thriving Thursday Week 11

Happiness, Comfort & Health Woohoo! I walked over 10,000 steps outdoors one day (4.1 miles for this short person) for the first time sin...