Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Shingrix vaccination shot #1 - have you had yours?

Yesterday I finally reached the top of the waiting list to get the improved shingles vaccine which is a 2 shot process. The second shot has to be between 2 and 6 months after the first.

I had the other type the week I turned 60 which was the minimum age limit then, but apparently you need both types to be protected. Now they are available if you are 50 or older.

The pharmacist did the usual warning of you may have swelling, redness or soreness at the site of the injection. Then she said or you may have flu like symptoms but do NOT call me if you feel like you are getting the flu as it is JUST THE SHOT so you can manage with Tylenol! I can only imagine how many phone calls she must have fielded as she is usually so mild mannered lol.

Anyway, soreness and mild flu like symptoms for one night. No flu like symptoms this morning. Still some injection site soreness but the shoulder pain from yoga yesterday is fighting for primary attention so all is good.

Have you had your shingles vaccinations? If you are 50 or older please consider it.

11 comments:

  1. I am considering it. I can't have the old one as it is a live vaccine which this one is not. I take Acyclovir daily since I had shingles about 5 years ago. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Okay, maybe a few Republicans ....Ha Ha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh at your last sentence! This vaccine is supposed to be 90% effective once you have had both shots according to the info I was given. I do understand that shingles is very painful for most people and both my parents had it twice so trying to avoid it!

      Delete
  2. I had both shots already and had different symptoms. The first time I felt very nauseous for a couple of days and awful in general. The second time it was just an extremely sore injection site. Anyway, I'm glad to be protected against Shingles and able to get it before age 60!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum had shingles and it has left tingling in certain areas. We have to pay about $300 for the vaccination n British Columbia. Hopefully, a seniors' medical policy is being developed which will pay for seniors' vaccinations as it pays for children's vaccinations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad you have to pay but the pain and potential complication avoidance would be worth it to me.

      Delete
  4. Had the old one at sixty, need to get the new one soon. had the flu and pneumonia one just a week or so ago so waiting for my sorn arm to be less than sore again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea to wait until you arm isn't sore.

      Delete
  5. I had the first shingles vaccine on the same day as my flu shot and the combination threw me for a loop. Fever of 101, body aches, headache for 24 hours, then weak and weary for several days following. Hopefully, it was just the combination of the two vaccines. Better than full-on shingles or flu, though, I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need the update! Thank you for the reminder. My mother is (slightly) immune-compromised, so vaccinations for all our family (She lives with us.) is a necessity...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been hearing about the two shots shingles vaccine, I already have had the single shot so will ask when I can get the new vaccine. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete

Thriving Thursday Week 11

Happiness, Comfort & Health Woohoo! I walked over 10,000 steps outdoors one day (4.1 miles for this short person) for the first time sin...