Pages

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Anticipation is a great part of happiness

The research on happiness actually shows that having things to look forward to makes you happier.

I am still in the looking forward to our weekend in Berkeley with family celebrations and firmly not thinking about the drive there and back lol.

We are heading up on this Thursday with a plan to arrive by 4pm to avoid traffic at that end. We have to come home on Monday (darn) as we are hosting Thanksgiving on Thursday and there are things to be done!

2 nights at my son's house and 2 nights sharing an AirB&B with the older son and family. The dog is going to be moving back and forth too.

Friday is the help get ready for the first birthday party on Saturday and help babysit our sweet granddaughter while her Mom and Dad work the symphony concert that evening. Saturday is her birthday party and in the evening we will celebrate the older son's engagement. Sunday morning is my Hubby's 65th birthday celebration. Yeah for milestones in triplicate.

I'm trying to make sure that preparing for Thanksgiving when we get back will be easy enough that I can look forward to the day and time with family rather than feeling stressed about preparing the meal and house. We have splurged by ordering a cooked turkey and gravy from Whole Foods and Hubby has volunteered to go pick it up Tuesday afternoon.

The local son and sweetie are bringing 2 vegetable dishes and planning to come out early in the day to help get ready. They will stay overnight too so there will be clean up help. My BIL is supposed to pick up and bring my FIL and his aunt.

I went grocery shopping today and bought everything that isn't perishable so I can make a quick trip to Trader Joe's on Tuesday morning for the last few things. I also bought appetizers that just need heating.

I've done some cleaning too so little will be done when we get back. The cooking for me amounts to making a pumpkin pie, brownies and cranberry sauce, roasting new potatoes, and reheating things. I think it will be nice and not too stressful!

Hope you have something lovely or joyous that you are looking forward to also.

6 comments:

  1. I am so behind this year! I have the menu done, but still need to grocery shop fir everything. By now I would normally be done, so, yes, the stress is beginning to build.

    What a wonderful weekend you have coming up! Enjoy every moment, particularly the coastal portion of your drive, because that last little bit along the East Bay is stressful I know!

    We have granddaughter arriving with parents next Tuesday. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time with your grandaughter and other family! We will be back at home and in full Thanksgiving prep mode on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you about anticipation contributing to happiness. I've come to realize that part of the fun connected to a vacation is the planning. I have this quote by my kitchen sink - the grand essentials of happiness are something to do, something to love and something to hope for - A. K. Chalmers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a lot going for you with family events and Thanksgiving. I aim to buy a turkey this weekend, and am stuck at home today waiting for a FedEx package that needs me to sign for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a busy weekend and now we are home and gearing up to start prepping for Thanksgiving at our house. We ordered a cooked turkey and gravy from Whole Foods though not being totally crazy LOL.

      Delete

Thriving Thursday Week 11

Happiness, Comfort & Health Woohoo! I walked over 10,000 steps outdoors one day (4.1 miles for this short person) for the first time sin...