Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2016

For a moment I felt 16 again

The very last time I got caught in a downpour without an umbrella I was 16 or 17 and about a mile from home in Champaign, IL on a very hot summer day. I got drenched - but, oh well. It was warm and I was young and felt very alive.

The second time I got caught in a downpour without an umbrella was earlier this afternoon about 3 blocks from home. I am 67 and living in Atlanta, GA. It was warm enough and for a moment I was transported back to a summer day long ago.

I was walking the dog though and for a dog who loves getting a bath she sure hates being rained on, hence her raincoat which we faithfully put on her when we know it is raining and she has to go out.


We ran. We gave up and just got soaked. She kept wanting to stop and shake and I wanted to keep going LOL. My husband met us at the door with towels and a hair dryer.

I felt very alive. And surprised at how far I could run LOL.

PS - This was a good antidote to how very mortal I felt yesterday after attending a memorial service for a friend who was only 6 years older than I am at the moment. A lovely tribute to him followed by a celebration of life at one of his favorite restaurants. Still I felt the ticking of the clock.

4 comments:

  1. Before I read this post, I wondered if you had sneaked into a children's playground and had a go on the swings! I always enjoy doing that- even though I'm now 69! I also love dancing and am hoping to sign up for some classes at a new dance studio near our house. I guess what I'm saying is that - no matter how old we are - we can always stay young at heart. Sorry to hear about your friend. It's good that you celebrated his life though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with your thoughts Sue. My friend had early onset Alzheimer's for about 8 years and it was very hard on his wife who is my closest friend here. So sad and not sad at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes something will happen and boom, we are back in our teens (or younger). With the days getting shorter and cooler and the smell of fall in the air, I was transported back to my freshman year of high school. Hopefully someone someday will celebrate our lives and remember us fondly. Your dog is just adorable...my Chihuahuas are sending her slurpy kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, her 3 best doggie friends are Chihuahuas so she would be very happy to get those kisses.

      Delete

Thriving Thursday Week 13 - Little things edition

Have you heard about the National Association of Realtors settlement agreement related to home sellers having to pay the buyer’s agents comm...