The good news is two-fold: The best time to put a house on the market in our area is between April 1 & 15 so we have almost exactly 12 months to prepare. Much we thought we might have to do we in fact don't need to do. No termite bond, no chimney sweep, no pre-listing home inspection, no landscaping, no removal of storm windows, no redoing of driveway or wood floors!
Items to do in addition to usuals of deep cleaning and depersonalizing, etc.:
- Modest remodel of one bathroom
- Repair or replace 3 windows
- Fix faucet in second bathroom and possibly replace sink
- Pressure wash house and paint all trim
- Replace some light fixtures with more contemporary ones
- Paint over feature walls and dark color in one bathroom
- Paint/repair ceilings as needed
- Service HVAC right before house goes on market
- Assemble receipts/proof of major home repairs/improvements
- Walk through with a professional stager who will also help select items for bath remodel
- Meet with realtor to set price, marketing strategy, etc. in Jan/Feb 2017
We are on it and looking forward to meeting with the service providers she uses.