Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

Let's read about consumerism

I think I will read some books about American's obsession love of consumerism in this most consumser-ist month of the year. I should clarify that at this time I am interested in this from a sociological, political and/or historical perspective - not from a personal consumption perspective.

I've read in other years:

- Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping - Judith Levine
- A Year Without Made in China - Sara Bongiorni
- Overdressed - Elizabeth L. Cline
- and others about Affluenza, the garbage epidemic, etc.

Now I'm looking for some new reads that specifically focus on consumerism and these seem like candidates although my library doesn't have either of the first two. I will order the first one via interlibrary loan as buying them seems too ironic. The third one is in at the library and I'll check it out.

- Shiny Objects: Why We Spend Money We Don't Have in Search of Happiness We Can't Buy - James A. Roberts 2011

- Ad Nauseam: A Survivor's Guide to American Consumer Culture - Carrie McLaren 2009 (a bit old perhaps)

- Buying In: The Secret Dialogue Between What We Buy and Who We Are -- by Rob Walker 2008

Can anyone suggest some other recently published books about consumerism in America that are really good reads?

4 comments:

  1. I think you meant to saying that buying a book on consumerism would be an oxymoron! :-)

    I recently enjoyed Jeff Yeager's book 'The Ultimate Cheapskate's Guide to Retirement.' I was able to obtain it from my library, and as always, he made me laugh while also pondering the folly of using shopping as recreation from both a financial and well being standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeager certainly is a good read and funny. Occasionally I read his new writings on the AARP website.

      Delete
  2. I read "Not Buying It" by Judith Levine where she goes a year without shopping for non-necessity items. Enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it was enlightening! I don't struggle with shopping too much overall just with a few areas like going out for coffee and a snack just to get out of the house, stocking up too much on food and toiletries like there was going to be a great shortage LOL, etc.

      Delete

Thriving Thursday Week 11

Happiness, Comfort & Health Woohoo! I walked over 10,000 steps outdoors one day (4.1 miles for this short person) for the first time sin...