Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Wartime Wardrobe Challenge - Interesting to add to Project 333?

I came across links to several bloggers who are participating in The Wartime Wardrobe Challenge. Check out the explanation and see the points chart at Jean of all Trades

According to this challenge you can only purchase clothes this year up to the value of your 66 "clothing coupons" using the updated Womenswear Rationing Chart

There is also a men's chart here

Updates include exemptions for used clothing and premiums for certain kinds of materials. I found that I have already used 54 of my 66 coupons which means I could only purchase a very few new clothing items the remainder of this year. I could purchase an unlimited number of used clothing items. Hmmm - this might be an interesting add on to Project 333 and to my efforts to Save EXTRA Money for Retirement.

On my shopping list for Spring/Summer are: 

Black everyday flats
Black sandals
4 pairs of shorts & 2 everyday sleeveless tops 
Dressy casual skirt & 2 really nice hot weather tops 
Dressy casual dress in dark color other than black (so can wear to funerals if needed)
Sundress
Summer PJs/nightgown

The shoes & sandals would use up 10 of my remaining points but the PJs/nightgown would require 9 points so I would have to choose. I would need to find the rest in consignment or thrift shops. I don't shop those places so it would really push me out of my comfort zone, but it would be an interesting way to explore new places in town. I'll have to think about it.

How would living under wartime rationing for clothing affect your wardrobe decisions? 



2 comments:

  1. Oh! I am going to check out these links...sounds so interesting. And Juhli! I know you can thrift shop. It would just take a little time to figure out where the "good" ones are. Or you could try shopping Etsy too...finding vintage or handmade clothing that many times costs less than department /chain stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. Problem is I want to shop like a guy and have the clothes be there and fit!

      Delete

Self and Home Care - Thriving Week 17

Healthy self care is a challenge when I am stressed, lonely or bored and the sugar, salt, alcohol goodies call to me. I am trying very hard ...