Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Another week of food - menus for 2/13-1/19

I stuck to my plan of only buying food/household/toiletries that we need right now and spent $132.82  last week for the two of us. Last year's weekly spending average was $139.82 so I have $7 to add to last week's savings of $43 for a total of $50.This past week's savings was very low because I bought things like maple syrup, dishwasher soap and other infrequently purchased items. However, we still haven't run out of any of them so I really could have waited! Hard habits to break and the challenge of balancing shopping once a week vs. when needed.

I also seem to be finding it very hard to pass up sales on things I know we will use eventually.

I'm hoping to have saved/not spent $100 by the end of February to make an unbudgeted contribution to a local organization that works to eliminate homelessness for families.

As usual, we adjusted the menu to fit what came up and energy levels. We had turkey burgers instead of turkey meat loaf, an omelet instead of salad Nicoise, and vegetable soup (including the potatoes & green beans bought for the salad Nicoise) instead of minestrone. In fact we had soup two nights. It all worked out.

This coming week's menu plan:

W - eggplant parmesan, sauteed zucchini/onions/red pepper, oranges
Th - Valentine's dinner out at favorite neighborhood Thai restaurant with dessert around the corner at favorite coffee roaster & shop
F - chicken teriyaki strips, rainbow chard, rice, fruit
Sa - chili, cornbread, salad
Su - turkey meatloaf, sweet potatoes, fruit
M - tilapia, leftover cornbread & rice, spinach
Tu - leftover chili or meat loaf, broccoli and carrots


 Linking up with I’m an Organizing Junkie

4 comments:

  1. Nice menu! I have decided to "give in" to sale items I know we will eat eventually - no point paying more later. We also change our meal plan often, but make a point of using up fresh ingredients we've bought, like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually give in to sale prices too but am trying this month to see how readily I buy way more than we need as an experiment in consciously living with abundance. In March I'll give in again I'm sure.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to join you for any of those dinners -- er, except Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby likes eggplant parmesan the way we make it - you might too. Not at all like what they serve in most restaurants. I saute the eggplant slices in canola oil, place on baking sheet, top with pasta sauce, oregano and grated parmesan cheese, broil until lightly browned. Very light, low fat, low calorie and tasty.

      Delete

A crow shouting match & a charming book - Thriving week 20

I borrowed this book from the library and it was surprisingly charming. Inspired during the worst of the pandemic by the need to have someth...