Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Make it Monday - That's make it do, make it last or simply make it! 11/19 Edition

In the run up to Thanksgiving only a couple of things to report in this area.

Make It Do: I realized that I could use up sunscreen that will expire soon by using it in place of facial moisturizer. I'm sure this wouldn't be true of all sunscreens but this one is safe on the face and basically a higher SPF version of the daily moisturizer that I use. Save!

Make It Last: I finished reading the manuals for the remaining kitchen appliances to see if there was any care or maintenance that I wasn't doing and should start. Nothing new for the stove, stove vent/fan or microwave although I learned that the oven door can be removed for cleaning. Not sure I want to do that lol. I did learn that stubborn spots in the toaster oven could be removed by setting a cup of ammonia inside over night not that it needs that. The one thing I did was to clean the inside of the garbage disposal. I had been periodically wiping the underside of the rubber flange but had never done this. The instructions say to put the stopper in the disposal, fill the sink half way with warm water, add 1/4 c. baking soda and then turn on the disposer and remove the stopper at the same time. Easy.

We don't know the answer to this, but think we will probably have to replace all of the kitchen appliances before selling our home in 5 years even if they still are working fine. When we get closer to that date we'll see what the real estate market is like and talk to a few realtors. I'd rather do planned replacements using sales than emergency ones so we will keep focused on maintaining what we have for now.

Make It: Although I haven't made anything for Thanksgiving table decorations yet I have been thinking of low cost ideas that can be done at the last minute using grocery store or existing items. We'll see how that works out!

3 comments:

  1. B was telling me about a book she just read: "An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace" by Tamar Adler. Author offers a literate and interesting take on how to cook while making the most of everything you buy. Good resource for the chefs among us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! That's quite indigenous of you to use the sunscreen for a facial moisturizer. We will surely save a lot from that. Thanks for the idea. It will surely a useful one.
    Interactive Presentation

    ReplyDelete

Thriving Thursday Week 13 - Little things edition

Have you heard about the National Association of Realtors settlement agreement related to home sellers having to pay the buyer’s agents comm...