Pages

Monday, December 15, 2014

Peaking around the corner at 2015

Here we are right in the middle of December and for me that means thinking about what will be key for a successful 2015.

I have been thinking about what I really want for what I see as the year before we seriously start planning our relocation upon hubby's retirement in mid-2017.

One thing that is clear is that I need to transition out of my roles with the Friends of the Library. As with lots of small volunteer organizations, the more you are willing to take on the more you do. I am in the process of sequencing the timing of transitions and then will start working on them to extricate myself by the end of next year.

As we talk about what is important to each of us in choosing where to live after our move, I have become even more committed to making sure I really focus on ! I must make exercise not only the priority of each day but do it more intensely and for longer periods of time. I know most people have exercise on their New Year's resolutions but I am looking at building on what I am already doing.

We are still faced with the challenge of being so far away from family and having to figure out how to spend time with them. We have one nice long trip planned in January and will do another in the September time frame. Still thinking about whether or not I will go to NH to see family there and if we will take a vacation somewhere just for fun.

Stuff - too much of it. I can't interest hubby yet in decreasing our belongings as he is thinking more of a blitz when we get close to moving. I'm tired of dusting, etc. though so will keep chipping away at donating the excess. He is on board with not acquiring anything we don't really need in the next 2 1/2 years though.

Fun and friends are so important to me and I am already saying yes to everything that comes up. I will take more initiative to ask others to do things in 2015.

That is pretty much it.

6 comments:

  1. I think like you when it comes to belongings; but B thinks like your hubby. Oh, well . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a balancing act in a relationship isn't it. Good luck with your move down the road.

      Delete
  2. I think that getting rid of stuff over a period of time (which you have) makes so much sense. If you wait until the last minute you probably won't make good decisions. Even though your husband wants to wait until the blitz, you can still offload your own things (and maybe one or two other things he probably won't notice... but don't tell him I said that). It sounds like you have a good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I think my husband is starting to get excited about leaving this job and moving to the next phase of life. He does work full time and do a lot around the house so decluttering just is low on his list. At least he agrees with not adding to the pile of stuff! Will keep chipping away.

      Delete
  3. I am in a similar situation with volunteer work. I have a commitment until June 2015 which takes all the time I have, and it keeps getting piled on! So will definitely need to make a break and detach for a while. I think having a 2.5 year time frame to accomplish major goals is great; better than annual planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting that next volunteer(s) who will overcommit is the challenge. I told my most resistant to change board member today and I think I have worn her down LOL. She said she would go along with whatever I wanted to do.

      Delete

Thriving Thursday Week 13 - Little things edition

Have you heard about the National Association of Realtors settlement agreement related to home sellers having to pay the buyer’s agents comm...