Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2024

Putting myself out there; binge reading - Thriving week 34

Go me, semi-introvert that I am. I managed to get out to new experiences with social interaction 2 times this past week. Started with a coffee meet up with a fellow Pilates student. Another day I went to a talk on fall prevention at the city rec center. 

I would repeat the coffee meetup as I like her and we have a lot in common.

After the talk at the rec center I signed up for the 8 week program on fall prevention. It is a combo of information, resources, and strength and balance work. So far as an adult I haven’t had a serious fall but since they are mostly preventable I want to learn what more we can do preventively. One thing we can do is schedule a free home audit by an occupational therapist and then schedule the priority work through one of the organization’s licensed contractors.

Reading binging:

The library mystery book club selection introduced me to a series set in the 1970s after the communists won the civil war in Laos. I went down some rabbit holes to refresh my memory about how Laos was bombed by the US as part of the Vietnam war, learn about the twin history of animism and Buddhism in Laos including shamans, what happened to the royal family and more. The first book in the series by Colin Cotterill is The Coroner’s Lunch. I’ve read 4 of the 15 books in the series and enjoyed them all. The fifth one is not as good but that often happens in series. We’ll see how far I get!

7 comments:

  1. The fall prevention stuff - so valuable! Baby steps towards making an introverted step towards extroversion, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m right on the border between introversion and extroversion. Quite a mix of not liking to try to reach out to others in a group, easily chatting when familiar with others and I could go on and on. Being “new” is the hardest.

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of a fall prevention workshop. Wonder if I could get someone to do one here in my city. I am more introverted than extroverted. I hate not knowing anyone, feel very uncomfortable in a large crowd (even at family get togethers I need to leave and take some deep breaths).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My extrovert friends make me a little crazy by jumping into friendships, and then compaining to me frequently and at length when they have bumps. :) A loooong-time friend says that I sit back and watch people until I have a feel for whether said new person is worthy of my time investment. What's wrong with that? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I tripped this week. Thankfully all I hurt was my pride...and my lower right leg..has bruising from knee to ankle, but is fading nicely. Share tips on the home audit?

      Delete
  4. Good on you!! Glad you enjoyed coffee with your new pal. Hope you see her again soon. The fall prevention class sounds excellent. We are upping our workouts since PC has retired but need to strengthen our core and work on balance. My mom was like a weeble for years. Proud of you, my friend.
    I am allowing myself to read a little during the day these days. Just so many books I want to get to. And reading a half page at night before I fall asleep isn't working!!

    ReplyDelete

Life happens - Thriving week 38

My social life is looking up. I had a long coffee get together with a neighbor I really enjoy and have another scheduled with a new acquaint...