Pages

Friday, September 1, 2023

Frugal & Grateful Friday

Other than the usual day to day thrifty things there is not much to report. We are finding this an expensive year as you have read. Stretching it to report a few thrifty things.

- I cleaned the inside of the new to us frig thoroughly and wondered if there were coils to clean or if they were sealed. Found the manual online. We will be pulling it out to clean the coils in the back and then monitor to see how often they will have to be cleaned since we don’t know when it was done last.

- We have decided we need to take on more of the landscaping plant design and sourcing ourselves as we are not getting the amount of help we thought we would. We negotiated having the hardscape team take on the prep for planting as we are very satisfied with their availability, work and work ethic.

- I have been careful to run the dishwasher at the lowest rate time. Using the delayed start setting helps with that. It was a “duh” moment when I thought of using that feature lol. Grateful for dishes being washed while I sleep!

Recently I have also been grateful for -

- The zany energy outbursts of our 1 1/2 year old pup who runs laps and sprints around the house with and without toys involved. We cheer him on to get that energy out! It has also caused us to share happy memories of our last dog at the same age. We were very attached to her and her final illness was hard.

- The two hardworking guys building the hardscape in our backyard. They show up when scheduled, are cheerful and are making good progress. And they listen well to what we want and come up with ways to make it happen!

- Chats with a close by neighbor who I like more each time we talk.

- Our sons and DILs wanting to spend time with us.

- Many good nights of sleep in a row.

- That our washer has a hand wash cycle so no more washing things in the kitchen sink.

- So far the house temperature has been tolerable on the hottest days and cools down well at night. Eventually we may add more ceiling fans or other fans but for now it works.

4 comments:

  1. You have a good list of things you are grateful for. There is a lot of beauty and joy around us even in hard times, I often thank God for many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are working out for you. I always wondered about that delayed setting on my dish washer. Now I know what it's for. I usually do only one load a week, in the evening hours because I don't like running appliances when I'm not at home.

    Young dogs running zommies is always fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of a hand washing cycle but I like, I like. I am doing drop-in visits with a kitty in an apartment complex nearby. I can walk over to check on Luna. Today when I was there, I washed Luna's owner's sink full of dishes and started their dishwasher. Never could understand how someone can go on vacation (or to bed) with a sink full of dirty dishes.

    That pup has been such a delight. The kitty that found us a month ago has been a lot of fun, too. Our babies, human and otherwise, keep us young.

    PC put down sheets of grass seed today in the area where I would like to add a walkway. Eagerly watching your project transform your backyard and then hoping we can do something similar on our side yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could do your own walkway as there are many examples and tutorials!

      Delete

Road Trip Part 2 - Fascinating art, Visiting friends & coastal drive

Wednesday afternoon I walked to the USC Asia Pacific museum to se the special exhibit recommended by my DIL. Art made over many decades usin...