I’m sitting here early in the morning with my little dog curled up tight and asleep snuggled against me having my first cup of coffee. It is very quiet but then it usually is where I live. It is totally fogged in outside and still dark. I’m warm and relaxed though and I try to keep these kind of things in mind when I’m not so content.
2021 is almost over and while I’m not wishing it gone faster than it will be it has been difficult in some way for almost everyone and in very horrible ways for the world. So I am very thankful to simply be here still.
That feeling doesn’t make for happy hours and days though so I’m going to say that for me 2021 was simply ok. Not great, not horrible - just ok overall.
I’d like to improve on that when I end up rating 2022. So here are my thoughts on how to do so given what is in my control or ability to influence.
I sure can't control the pandemic, other people's behavior/choices, many aspects of my/other's health, the weather and so on. But I can control my own behavior to an extent (I still will be me for better and worse lol).
So here goes my hopes for change in 2022 by changing the way I behave and my choices.
- I really want to spend more time with my immediate family. I may have to do that by myself since for both of us to go means managing the dog coming too or not leaving her long. With one car it is a challenge but there is the train or I could suck it up and fly. Have to think on this.
- I want to resume more activities that I enjoy. I have found one local live theater that is open again plus an art gallery. Nearby is one small art museum I enjoyed before. There must be more that has restarted safely.
- I want to make at least one more good local friend. I’m lonely and too reliant on a couple of friends, but then aren’t so many during the pandemic and otherwise. Need to think on what I can do within my Covid comfort level.
- I want to learn something. I need to get back to OLLI classes preferable in-person so I can meet more people again. I could also try learning a new hobby related activity.
- I need to limit my screen time and news scrolling. This is a new habit which needs to be wound back down to pre-pandemic, pre-surgery levels.
- I really want my stronger body back. The last 1 1/2 years have included 12 months plus of recovery from foot surgery but that is over with (almost) I keep saying I will exercise and eat better so this year is the time to re-discover my strong willpower and goal orientation and make it happen.
The obstacles present for many aren't for me. I have generally good weather for being outdoors, a car and available funds.
My town has good grocery stores and a farmers market, gyms, Pilates/yoga studios, a lovely community indoor pool, community exercise classes, bike lanes, walking trails, etc. plus free access within my HOA to safe if boring walking routes and a small gym, outdoor pool and exercise classes.
Where did my willpower and determination disappear to? I need to find them!