Pages

Friday, May 21, 2021

Hmmm, hadn't thought about that happening.

Wow, our emergency preparedness really needs some work! 

We got almost caught short twice in two weeks and it is partly because I had defined emergencies as natural disasters or power outages not supply chain shortages or medical emergencies.

So problem one was when I had to go to the ER two weeks ago because of suspected food poisoning. If it had been caused by our dinner then Hubby would have had to go too. Fortunately he didn't as our back up dog care is our local son and DIL and they were on vacation in Mexico!

Now you may not think dog care is such a big deal but our dear old dog is medically complex and we are keeping her alive with 4 medications and prescription food due to her having not just one but two metabolic diseases (Addison's and kidney disease) plus high blood pressure. So oops on back up care. A neighbor has agreed to be our very local back up until one of our sons could get her and we will back up her cat care. Now I need to put together even more thorough instructions.

Our second oops was also dog related. We struggled to find a prescription dog food she would eat and she lost a lot of weight in the process. She likes her current frozen food regime. We were almost out so we were pretty shocked to find out it was out of stock at the store and by mail order from the manufacturer. We do have some shelf stable food for her for true survival emergencies but it isn't prescription.

Although we finally did find some at another store we also go a new prescription for the slightly less on target food the same company makes which was not out of stock. We do need to think this through even more though.

I'm sure there are many other things we aren't prepared for and am thinking that getting our emergency plans and to do list really thought through will be a good "couch" project while I recover from my foot surgery.

9 comments:

  1. I have a notebook standing on my kitchen countertop with a huge label on the front that says 'Emergency Care and Notes' with may name, address and phone number on the front (in case an EMT or a friend had to take it with them. The tabs inside are labeled: Index, Contacts, Jean, house & yard, car, misc., and until recently a section for Levi my dog. If someone had to take over my life with no input from me, that book would be a godsend of everything but password, credit card numbers. Levi's section had everything from the words and commands and words he understood to his medical history, diet and daily routine. Favorite toys, his short and long term emergency contacts. Living with someone who couldn't talk after my husband's stroke promoted me to make the notebook. He could get 911 with one button but relaying information he couldn't do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea. I’m going to work on upgrading our info.

      Delete
  2. I need to prepare in that manner a bit more. Having a notebook with the information like the other poster talks about seems like an excellent idea.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I need to think about emergency preparedness! Jean's idea to have a notebook makes good sense. Before my mom passed, she told my brother and me that everything we needed was in the top drawer of a dresser. Sure enough, there were explicit directions for us and she had prepared well. I've always thought that was one of the most loving gestures she could make toward us. Maybe I can do this for my kids, too! I sure do appreciate when we can learn from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dog care can be a big deal, esp. as they get older. But I'm sure you agree ... it's totally worth the trouble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is absolutely worth the trouble! We thought she was going to die in late December/early January but the vet came through with new meds and that along with a lot of fiddling with her food to got her to eat and be perky again.

      Delete
  5. Being adequately prepped for almost anything is a tall order. Having any living thing medically fragile puts you in the Caregiver Status which requires lots of planning and backup that is capable. Your Fur Baby is fortunate to have such Caring Family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She is a sweetheart. I think the pandemic lulled us into thinking everyone would be at home.

      Delete
  6. We love our kitties like you love your pup. It is a great idea to have an emergency preparedness document with directions for our pets' care and someone to jump in and care for them if we have to take off suddenly. My daughter lives here but I always set things out for her when she watches the 'girls'. In an emergency, I might not have the luxury of time to do so. And they are picky eaters so need to make sure to have pictures of the food they do eat, in case we would have to leave when the cupboards are running bare. We need to work on our will, DNRs, POAs and all of those other letters of the alphabet. Will add a document for the kitties' care to the list.

    ReplyDelete

Thriving Thursday Week 12 - Spring is here and so are bugs

Welcome to Spring!  It was a nice sunny and warm week so we took a scenic drive exploring parts of Berkeley near the campus and the hills be...