Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2020

Thankful Thursday #6 - Oct 29

Well I finished off my preventive & routine health care appointments for the time being with a dermatologist appointment on Tuesday. No problems requiring treatment. Still a few physical therapy appointments to go.

This week I was thankful for:

1. The delivery of a "step" to use for my PT exercises since we don't have any steps in our house. It adjusts to 4" and 6" heights. I'm at the lower height right now as my ankle still does not have full range of motion and is somewhat weak from lack of use. I’ve also been working on lengthening my stride and walking faster this week - seeing some progress.

2. Our car keeps going and isn’t too worn looking. 10 years old but only about 66,800 miles as it was my errand car in Atlanta. We cleaned it thoroughly this week.

3. Coffee, lots of nice dark French roast coffee. Thankful every day for this lol.

4. I have decided to pull out anything that is being stored and not used. I will use and enjoy it or send it on. Started with this 1930s tourist trade Navajo rug that was a gift from my uncle to my Mom. We had it hanging on the wall in Atlanta, but here it is going on the floor beside the bed. I am enjoying using it as rug after storing it for over 3 years. It makes me happy when I see it.

5. I have an afghan my Grandma crocheted. I recently ordered a new throw that got stuck in pandemic distribution limbo so I cancelled the order. I never use the one Grandma made because she did open weave crochet to hook the blocks together and as a result there are lots of cold spots even though it is acrylic. I was attracted to the one I ordered because of the texture it had from cables. 

I can hand sew some of rows of Grandma’s together to create an appealing texture and make it more useful. I’m happy to have a little project. The dog clearly doesn’t mind it the way it is now though!

 

6. Brownies made by me on a high level of of chocolate craving. Oh all right - and a sugar craving.


9 comments:

  1. I about fell out of my chair when I saw the photos of the white afghan. My mom made in an afghan using the exact same pattern. I never used it for warmth, I just love the way it look draped over a darker color bed spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing. My step-grandmother made it in the early 1970s or late 1960s. I loved her so much that I have kept it but would really like to use it.

      Delete
  2. Love the rug. It would make me smile as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it sad that we often keep hand-me-downs and keepsakes sacred and stored away. I have been using the linens given me by my mom from her mom. The fabric in some cases is very thin and delicate and won't withstand much use but using them makes me happy. And I believe my grandmother and great grandmother would rather they be used. The rug is bright and cheerful. It looks very nice close to the dark wood of the nightstand. Good job!!
    Brownies need no excuse!! They are just plain delicious. I want to make Hatch chile chocolate chip cookies tomorrow from my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you've inspired me to see if there are items that I've been "saving" (for what??) that we might enjoy using. A few years ago, I started using a sugar bowl that had been my great grandmother's. Every time I get a spoonful of sugar, it makes me smile. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know what you find and start using please.

      Delete
    2. A couple of items I have in mind quilts and pillow cases that my grandmother embroidered. I'm sure there's lots more ;)

      Delete

Thriving Thursday Week 11

Happiness, Comfort & Health Woohoo! I walked over 10,000 steps outdoors one day (4.1 miles for this short person) for the first time sin...