Week 4 to 6:
- Got used to walking in the boot with 2 crutches and just a little weight on foot. Graduated to more weight and one crutch and then to none part of the time. Started walking a bit outside to build my muscles back up in my affected leg.
- Found out I lost 4 pounds mostly by not being able to indulge my Starbucks latte and cookie afternoon habit but some muscle loss too. Not complaining lol.
- Got really bored and really tired of reading and laying around. Initially not able to sit with my foot down for long as it still swells and needs to be elevated but that got better. Did start taking showers - bliss. Was really glad we have grab bars, a no slip shower floor and the borrowed shower seat for when I need to wash my feet.
Week 7 & 8:
- The bone is healed although the incision and bottom of foot are still tender and my foot not very flexible. I am walking a bit wonky but able to get up in middle of night with only one crutch for balance at the start of week 7 and no crutch by No more knee scooter!
- Wearing a compression ankle sock and foam toe separator except at night. Weaning off of walking boot with a schedule - 1 hour 2 x a day for 3 days then 2 hours, etc. My leg muscles are weary which denotes progress.
- Can drive (left foot operated on), run errands, cook and do chores - Yeah!
- We were able to put almost all furniture back in place and store away all the special equipment and supplies except for the rental items that will be returned soon. It cost much less to rent them by to month - less than the 2 week fee - so I have some time yet to get them back.
- Physical therapy twice a week for now.
EDIT: I ended up getting a cane to help with walking without the boot. I was wobbling from a week ankle and not taking a normal length step with my unaffected foot but the cane solved that.