Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Six on Saturday - May 18th

This week -

1) We got ourselves laughing when taking a walk with the dog when I said that sometimes living in this large 55+ community reminds me of the Jim Carey movie "The Truman Show". We are both very ready to break back out into the "real" world of diverse age groups and a more urban environment.

2) The dog had her monthly vet visit for her shot to treat her Addison's disease AND her every other month doggy spa day - bath, massage, haircut, blow dry, nails trimmed and a blueberry facial. She always walks out so very relaxed and who wouldn't! She is oblivious to the flower on her head but I take it off as soon as we get home.

3) I made a batch of banana almond muffins. I don't think I mentioned that I had made banana walnut muffins to take to Berkeley to have for breakfast. The first morning we were there we found out their dog had managed to reach the bag they were in and ate all nine muffins for her breakfast! Time to have some muffins of our own I think although we had managed to eat 3 of the prior batch.

4) I've been reading a lot of my usual mysteries, a book of poetry, a book on "radical suburbs" and skimming the cookbook "Skinny Taste". I received "Becoming" by Michelle Obama for mother's day so want to get started on that too.

5) Lunch Thursday with some women friends which was very fun as usual. I'm grateful for having made some good friends here. I'm looking forward to attending a musical performance tomorrow - "Songs of Broadway" - and to having our local son and DIL to join us for live theater and dinner in late June.

6) I finished deep cleaning the den near the living room and we washed the screens and outside of the window in that room. So we have 3 of 9 large windows and their screens done. No need to rush LOL.


8 comments:

  1. I found your comment about 55+ interesting. I recently moved into a 55+ and have been enjoying the quiet so much. Not missing the children and teens at all. Then I realized that because there is an elementary school on the corner I do see children everyday. When Buddy the chihuahua and I walk by the school the children run to the fence to talk to him. When we are taking an afternoon walk, I get to see the sweet sight of all the moms and children walking home or discussing their day as they are herded into cars. So yes, I guess I do enjoy having children around. I hadn't thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really like that too. Our community is very large so you don't really see anyone not part of the community unless you walk a very long way or grandchildren are visiting. We have realized we like the mix of ages a lot.

      Delete
  2. No need to rush that cleaning, indeed!!

    I need a pampering like the one your pup gets every other month. How special. Our dogs always came home with bows that they almost seemed humiliated to wear. And I snatched them off promptly. But when we switched groomers, we upped our game from bows to bandanas, which fit our posse much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - need that kind of pampering that is. The same price would be good too! She does enjoy it and although I take the bows or flowers out right away she doesn't even seem to know they are there.

      Delete
  3. I loved Michelle Obama's book. I hope you do.

    My dog loves his spa days too. He gets a neck scarf which I also take off when he gets home.

    Your comments on the 50+ community are interesting. I'm not sure if I would like living in one although I've been looking at them. I decided I need to wait until my dog is gone to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would still consider them even with your dog. Ours is so large (3,300+ people) that it can feel like an entire small town. One doesn't easily walk out of it to anywhere. Where we lived 22 years ago there was an small apartment building that was 55+ in the midst of a vibrant all ages community and that would be the best of both worlds I think.

      Delete
  4. Your dog looks so pretty and fluffy and I imagine she smells good too. My dog weighs just 14 pounds so we wash him in the sink, quick, easy and free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of dog do you have? I do bathe ours between grooming sessions but since she is a poodle she has to have haircuts!

      Delete

Thriving Thursday Week 11

Happiness, Comfort & Health Woohoo! I walked over 10,000 steps outdoors one day (4.1 miles for this short person) for the first time sin...