Well after spending more time looking for a way to move to the East Bay area of N. Cal we became very discouraged and didn't see any path forward given the housing shortage and very hot real estate market. Then there is the issue that we want to enjoy living where we move next and plan to stay until we can't manage to live there so that rules out some smaller or very hilly areas. We were not cheery visitors with son and DIL I'd say!
Once we got home we joked about moving to San Luis Obispo which is half way between each son's home (4 1/2 hour drive to each) but that would not make sense to matter how lovely the town and area. Then I started wondering about Sacramento, CA.
What do you know! It is semi-affordable, no bidding wars, great things to do and health care and only 1 hour 20 min to our Berkeley son's home. We could fly down to visit the one in Pasadena if we didn't want to drive. So now we are trying to learn about Sacramento via the internet and thinking this may be the workable path. Still have really no idea what we are going to do but we are in agreement that we don't want to stay living in Leisure Village although that may end up being what happens.
Then there is the question of how to do a move financially and logistically so I have been trying to
think of alternative ways to approach this. So here are all the options that I can think of right now.
* Wait until enough CDs mature to pay cash for a new home while house shopping long distance and then sell this one to rebuild our savings. Could be over 2 years to have enough unless we cash out early.
* Put our home on the market first then when it sells ...
1) Rent a home there for 6 months to a year if that is possible given the market and our having a dog. Possibly someone on a sabbatical or in need of long term house sitting. How would we find that situation?
2) Rent a series of long term Air B&Bs or VRBO homes that allow dogs.
3) Live in son and DIL's spare room
4) Rent local son and DIL's home for 6 mo to a year while they travel if they in fact do that.
* Resign ourselves to staying here and ...
1. Do 3 or 4 long term Air B&B or VRBO rentals each year to spend more time with N Cal family and be able to take dog
Truly wishing this wasn't so difficult to pull off. Of course after a weekend with a 2 year old who has perfected tantrums we won't mind waiting a bit longer until being closer LOL.