Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

How I created a Spring wardrobe in my colors by shopping my closet

As I've mentioned I am in the midst of the 7 Steps to Style virtual program offered by Imogen Lamport of Inside Outside Style and not only enjoying the program, process, and private Facebook group but learning a lot about how to maximize my clothing budget at this time of my life.

So in the midst of thinking about my wardrobe and figuring out what to spend my clothing budget on this year I happened upon this article, A bunch of pretty things I did not buy, which is also now a book. Pretty funny as a juxtaposition to the amount of time I am spending thinking about clothing right not - more than at any time in my life except the teen years by the way.

Anyway, I now have a lovely swatch of 50 colors representing the 50,000+ that would look good on my at this time. I'm dealing with spending where I have shirked in the last couple of years - belts, bras, everyday winter coat, shoes, gym clothes and lounge/sleep wear. I will need to replenish my cold winter wardrobe a bit next Fall too.

The bulk of my wardrobe shopping though needs to be for a spring and summer wardrobe for those warm to very hot months we have a lot of in Atlanta. I want to spend my money very well this time around. My shopping time too as it is one of my least favorite activities and even more time consuming now that I am taking color into account as well as lifestyle, size, fit, style, ease of care and price.

So I am shopping my wardrobe first to see if I truly need anything to make it through early spring when it is cool to warm. I was able to create a potential color palette from the colors in my eyes and came up with these eye enhancers.

 
The red and coral are the closest colors in my swatch to the colors near my iris and were a surprise to me as I thought it was brown! There are also tiny flecks of teal to my surprise.

Three neutrals and four colors - I could live with that but I'm also waiting for a sunny day when my husband is home so to take the appropriate photos so I can get Imogen to pick out my signature colors. Also, I don't own many items in these colors for spring/summer although I wore them a lot back in my teens/early 20s. So back to shopping my closet I go.

I did find enough clothing for early spring that blend with colors in my swatch.

The overall color scheme for early spring

  And a few closet orphans that will work too with each other, denim or soft white.


I love the versatility that my color swatch gives me and have been pleasantly surprised at how many clothes I own that blend but please notice there is no black. Charcoal is my new black. So black is gone as is bright white, fuschia, and cool red, but there are plenty of colors left and they do look better with my current hair and skin coloring. I did sneak in a too white zip hoodie until I can replace it.

Overall I have a trench coat, blazer, zip hoodie, 3 cardigans, 16 tops, 2 jeans, ankle pants, 2 capris and a skirt for a total of 28 items plus 3 pairs of shoes and 2 belts for a total of 33 without including accessories. Not bad for shopping my closet.

It's not a perfect wardrobe eye color wise but I have plenty of clothes for the transition from cold to hot weather. I may need to add one or two smart casual outfits for going out or those occasions that require more dressing up. I definitely need those shoes, belts, and accessories mentioned earlier.

Onward to creating a wardrobe that works for hot/very hot & humid weather that will be here way to soon.

I'm going to add to that wardrobe using my signature colors/eye enhancers as much as possible so I expect to end up with two capsule wardrobes that don't work together very well. One will use the existing pieces that have at least one more season in them but won't have anything added in those colors. The other will be my new or thrifted purchases in my signature colors or colors that blend with them.

I'm looking forward to the journey and will share my learning with you as I go.




14 comments:

  1. Love that orange top on you! I'm also doing the challenge and wish things were coming together for me as they do for others. But I will be patient and work the steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment! Working the steps is important and I am now going back through everything before any major shopping. Look forward to seeing your journey.

      Delete
  2. I'm really enjoying following your style journey! I may be inspired to try it myself. Please keep sharing what you are doing and the changes you are making in your wardrobe. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I encourage you to take the journey. Our coloring and clothing needs change over time especially in this time of life.

      Delete
  3. I love how you are embracing this challenge! And I applaud you for shopping your closet. I remember when I got my colors done--I surprised the analyst. Glancing at me, most would figure I am in the warm color family but I am truly a Cool Summer. Having my swatch colors these past few years has saved me lots of money--and helped me to look more alive!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by my colors too but knew what I tended to like often didn't work with my white hair instead of the dark brown I used to have. I expect it will save money although not time because shopping is much harder now LOL.

      Delete
  4. I like your colours and I look forward to seeing how you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juhli, this is most impressive! And I do love those colors on you - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sybil. Hope your transition to retirement is going well!

      Delete
  6. What a great idea - shopping your own closet. I had my colors "done" years ago but have gradually slid away from them. After reading your post, I think I will dig out my swatch and go through my closet. I have a trip to a warm place coming up soon, and I could do well to follow your suggestions. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do pull out your colors and also realize that if it has been "many" years since they were done you may have to soften the colors a bit instead of going with what they were to match your current skin and hair tones.

      Delete
  7. Just came across this post. Your color palette is beautiful! It's great that you were able to shop your closet for so many of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanine. I do love the colors I have to work with and continue to understand how best to wear them. It is interesting to see that not quite a year later some of these clothes are gone or demoted!

      Delete
  8. This looks like so much fun! I need to try this out. I love clothes, colors and blinge. We will see if any of what I like is actually what I should wear. :)

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thriving Thursday Week 11

Happiness, Comfort & Health Woohoo! I walked over 10,000 steps outdoors one day (4.1 miles for this short person) for the first time sin...