Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Menu Plan for 2/6 - 2/12 - Keep buying only what is needed

Last week's attempt to only buy the food/household/toiletries that we absolutely need went pretty well. General purchases were $69.72 plus $11.86 for beer and wine for Super Bowl Sunday for a total of $87.58. Last month we spent an average of $139.82 a week so cooking from what we had really helped. I did splurge on going out to lunch though on Monday and I am counting it although we budget separately for eating out. I really enjoyed it and spent a whole $9.10.

That leaves me ahead $43 towards my donation goal.

We followed our menu plan well and only one item (chicken enchiladas) wasn't served due to the abundance of leftovers and my forgetting that hubby was out of town one night so there was a need for less food. I still have  leftover chicken in the freezer. We also have a few tortillas left as well as canned black beans so those chicken enchiladas are happening!

So here are my thoughts for the menu for the week. I'll be out to dinner one night with my best friend from my teen years so hubby can figure something out that night!

- Chicken enchiladas
- Turkey meatloaf x 2
- Salad Nicoise
- Minestrone (to help use up that 1/2 cabbage in the frig!)
- Salmon

I also have some packages of yeast sitting around so I am going to bake some bread. I'll make applesauce muffins later in the week too.


 Linking up with I’m an Organizing Junkie

4 comments:

  1. Well done!! Enjoy your night out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I really did enjoy my dinner with my "old" friend!

      Delete
  2. I find that if I stock my pantry and freezer well at the beginning of the month, we use what we have and save money through the rest of month on the grocery bill. As you know, it does take planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that a stocked pantry is key. I'm including the pantry minimums in the list of what we need. As we use something I am replacing it if it is a basic and not one recipe specific.

      Delete

Self and Home Care - Thriving Week 17

Healthy self care is a challenge when I am stressed, lonely or bored and the sugar, salt, alcohol goodies call to me. I am trying very hard ...