Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Another week of buy only what is needed - & menus too

Spent $137.85 this past week which was awfully close to last year's weekly spending average was $139.82 so I only have $2 to add to last week's savings of $50 for a total of $52. I am hoping to have saved/not spent $100 by the end of February to make an unbudgeted contribution to a local organization that works to eliminate homelessness for families. One shopping trip to go and we'll see how close I come. I'll make the donation regardless as I am doing this to remind myself in a concrete way how I live in abundance.

This week we are eating for dinner (in no particular order):

- Lentil & carrot soup
- Chicken tostados with leftover chicken
- Salmon
- Pasta with peppers & mushrooms
- Turkey loaf or burgers
- Omelet or veggie pizza
- Night out/eat leftovers as I am going to book club and Hubby will do something

We have lots of veggies to add to these dinners as well as lunches as we please: frozen peas, corn & green beans, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, acorn squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli. Also a selection of grains: pasta, rice, wild rice mix, barley, kasha, breads. Fruit includes canned pineapple, peaches, pears, cranberry sauce & applesauce. We also have bananas, apples, oranges, raisins & dried cranberries. No way will we go hungry!

 Linking up with I’m an Organizing Junkie

4 comments:

  1. You inspired me. I made a big pot of chili with one pound of lean ground beef and a big pot of soup with ground chicken. We ate two meals off the pot of chili and froze enough for a third meal. My husband took one container of soup to his elderly aunt and I shared with a friend. We had enough for a meal and two containers to freeze. If you just think ahead it is interesting what you can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! I try to make a pot of soup, stew or chili each week when its not too hot. Not only do we like it but it is so wonderful to be able to just heat it up and eat.

      Delete
  2. I need to do this as well... Even though I *SAY* I'm going to make a meal plan, it's always the last thing on my list! And it usually gets ignored. ;) ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that making a very simple one just consisting of main dishes is helpful. No overbuying or standing there wondering what to fix. I feel free to modify it though as life dictates.

      Delete

Time zooms on - my baby is 41🎂

My younger son turned 41 yesterday and while it is not as shocking to me as having a 53 year old older son it still feels like time has spee...