Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Why is clothing such a bother?

Like many of you, I have a closet and dresser full of clothes and shoes plus coats, hats, scarves, etc. stashed elsewhere in the house. Yet I look in my closet and wish I had something different to wear.  I know that when I bought each item of clothing that I thought it was flattering and a good addition to my wardrobe.  I know that I have spent lots of money and time buying these clothes.  Yet I get bored with wearing the same things and can't get rid of the desire to acquire something new. 

It’s not that I don’t have a options to choose from; it is that I have looked at them season after season and year after year.  Why don’t the clothes I am tired of wear out?  The shoes that are comfortable certainly do!  But I digress.

I am determined to enjoy what I the life that I have – and this applies to clothes.  I am going to try to work my way through my clothing while determining if I would wear it out to lunch with a friend.  This raised lots of additional questions.

o   Is it worn out?
o   Does it fit?
o   Is it flattering in color and style?
o   Would I replace it if was gone?
 
I am taking on a personal clothing challenge for the next year.  If an item doesn’t pass these questions, it goes out the door.  New clothing only comes in if I absolutely have nothing to wear for the occasion or weather.  When I do buy something it is going to match my inspiration - the Sky, Sunset and Pewter Wardrobe that Vivienne created for me and that you can see here.  


For what is left, I will banish boredom and cultivate an attitude of gratitude for the “plenty” of clothes I have by asking myself these questions!
o   What was it about this that made me want to buy it?
o   Can I combine it with something else to make it feel “new”?  This could be a different color combination or accessorizing for example.

Be happy with what I have is the mantra for now.  There is a lot of support for the idea that having fewer choices is actually less stressful.  I’m not going for a minimalist wardrobe, just a smaller and better used one that makes me feel happy with how I look now! 
  

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Vivienne! I have purchased 4 tops since you did this wardrobe and they are already favorites. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you. I've been working on the capsule wardrobe concept and although I'm not there yet,it's making life far easier because it takes away the decision process. I was spurred on when I read the average woman spends one third of her life deciding what to wear LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the wardrobe Vivienne put together for you. I read her blog faithfully and am trying to incorporate her fabulous ideas into my existing closet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @DonnaI love her ideas too and have enjoyed all of the wardrobes she has created.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This transition period between recognizing that a wardrobe needs work and having a finished wardrobe is such a difficult time sometimes. But your attitude is fabulous--I love your new year's task!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The day I retired (3 1/2 years ago) I vowed to clean out my closet. I've made a little progress, but I have a long way to go. I believe it's true that you wear 20% of your clothes 80% of the time and the other 80% only 20%. But there are things I wear zero % of the time--why oh why can't I dump those?

    I have some friends that decided for one month they would wear only something they hadn't worn in that month, something different every day. That would probably be a good way to really suss out what you'll never wear . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Aesthetic Alterations - I agree that the transition is difficult and it seems to be continuous as lifestyle changes.

    @Retired Syd - It would be interesting to do your friends' experiment. I don't happen to have enough clothes to do that and oddly although it is hot here more months than it is cold, I seem to have more cold weather clothes. Another thing to change.

    ReplyDelete

Managing Our Resources: Our Money

Let's talk money!  By money I mean paying attention to our investments and income, managing our spending, giving, planning for final yea...