Pages

Saturday, April 29, 2023

Week 18: What makes a home feel like your HOME?

Over the mantel for sure

I’ve been thinking about this a lot as we fit our routines and possessions into yet another home.

The sequence of moving in seems to have been similar each time. We must quickly have a place to sleep and sit, a basically functioning kitchen and bathroom, and our most used items accessible if not put away. Kind of like camping! The further unpacking and organizing in those areas comes next. 

Then the less frequently used belongings either find a home or are let go which is a project too. There is the buying or finding of storage solutions and rearranging a lot (especially the kitchen in my case) to make the space work well for the family. 

Finally comes the decorating and making it feel like a welcoming and nurturing home. Of course there is a lot of overlap between each step but that is the general sequence for me.

Living room and dining room possibilities 

Bedroom possibilities 

Other than finishing the garage organization (tools, yard stuff, stored items like holiday decor and miscellaneous stored items) plus decisions about keeping or letting go the last few boxes of belongings we will then be done with unpacking. The outdoor space and repairs/upgrades to the house infrastructure are other projects lol. 

There are other changes and enhancements we want to make too but feeling that this is a welcoming home first is very important to us. We are almost there! 

What is most important to you in making your home right for you?

Kitchen and upstairs rooms possible 

Hallway and upstairs maybes

3 comments:

  1. You have tons of great art work. I hope you'll show the end results after you hang it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having just put in new flooring, paint, trim, doors.......we too are making decisions on what goes back on the walls, what is gifted/thrifted away and what is actual trash. And I keep telling myself that it doesn't matter anymore what I paid for original art (I only buy from artists directly except for my Monet print-a bit too spendy), the $ is the past and if I don't truly still love it, it's not going up. This is the slowest I've ever been getting stuff on walls!

    ENJOY the "artwalk" as you make your decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to see someone else who takes pleasure in having art on her walls. I have probably gone overboard but I think it makes a room, a house more interesting. You have beautiful pieces. Love the bright colors in so many of the paintings. One of my favorites is the one with the paint brushes. And I think I spot a photo or possible painting of a childhood you. Please take pictures once you get everything figured out and hanging.

    ReplyDelete

Life happens - Thriving week 38

My social life is looking up. I had a long coffee get together with a neighbor I really enjoy and have another scheduled with a new acquaint...