Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2018

So when you lock yourself out of the house ...

And didn't even take your cell phone with you, the dog is inside in her crate, and your Hubby won't be home for 6+ hours you think but you live in a 55+ community, you walk over to a neighbors and call security as a first step.

They bring a set of master keys which you never got around to having checked against the locks on your doors even though you have lived here over a year. Nope, none of them work - add changing locks to the to do list.

He asks if any windows might be unlocked. Yup, perhaps one but you weren't able to get the screen off and there is a glass topped desk right under the window.

Under 30 years old & physically fit security guy easily pops off the screen, opens the window, assesses how to avoid breaking the desk and then stops and sighs saying "I'm not as young as I used to be!" before pulling himself up and over the window. He easily steps over the desk onto the chair, unlocks the door and problem solved.

We always had a hidden key in Atlanta but hadn't gotten around to it here now. Short term solution before changing locks!

10 comments:

  1. LOL! If it makes you feel better, I can definitely relate, as could most of us I would imagine. Happy it was an 'all is well that end's well' event, but now go take care of your key and lock issues before it happens again! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true! I did want to laugh when the young security guard paused before pulling himself up and climbing through the window! I had thought of trying to get in that way myself but was stymied by getting the screen off and the width of the desk - plus I'm not as young as I used to be!

      Delete
  2. We keep a set of keys in the site manager's office. We've used them a couple of times. It is always those unimportant details like checking the keys that foul things up. But it happens to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true! This is a community with over 3,000 residents so they won't do that for us but we need to do something for the future.

      Delete
  3. When we bought this house its side door (most used) already had an keyless entry. We would never have put one in ourselves, but boy are we spoiled now, and if we ever move putting one in new abode will be first on the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you could put in a keyless entry! Great idea. The benefit of a lock that works with the master key is that if you call for help and can't unlock the door then they can still get in without destroying the door. Still thinking about what to do but Hubby left yesterday without taking a key and then I left and could have locked him out lol.

      Delete
  4. Good story ... all's well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not as young as he used to be and under 30! LOL. That is good you found the solution so you could get in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My comment was "Neither am I!" but I do understand his challenge as the window was fairly high and there was nothing to step up on to get started lol.

      Delete
  6. Glad the security guard could help you! Shortly after we moved into our house I decided to take a walk while my husband was napping. I took house key & cell phone so I thought all was good. I hadn't used the house keys myself - husband had and they worked fine- and when I got home I could not get the key to work in any of the doors - front door, back door, or garage door. The locks were so stiff and my somewhat arthritic hand just could not manage them. I sat on the patio and called my husband. No answer. Tried a text. No answer. Thought maybe he'd gone on a quick errand. Some time passed and I started to worry. It was getting dark and chilly. I heard voices in the house. Tried to call again. No answer. I started banging on the back door. Finally my brother-in-law, who'd stopped by, let me in. Hubs had shut off his phone while napping and never put it back on. He'd actually looked out the window and seen me in the yard and thought I was just relaxing. Oh well... a shot of WD40 solved the lock issue.

    ReplyDelete

Thriving Thursday Week 11

Happiness, Comfort & Health Woohoo! I walked over 10,000 steps outdoors one day (4.1 miles for this short person) for the first time sin...