Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2018

And June was ... better than I remembered offhand!

The first thing that comes to mind when I think about what happened in June is that all of us here were sick including my FIL and dog!

Of course I visited my granddaughter, son & DIL for a weekend (19 month olds are so fun!), read a lot and tried 4 new things plus saw a friend's new home.

I had lunch with a new friend, did a thrift shop tour and lunch with 2 other new ones, started attending a book discussion group associated with the women's club I just joined, and went to an evening program on state legislation in the pipeline directly affecting women put on by the same club. The book discussion group is one where we each talk about what we have read since the last meeting but no assigned reading. We also had lunch at a friend's new house although they haven't moved in yet they wanted my FIL to see it and his health is keeping him from getting out and about at times now. He was able to go and enjoyed himself.

In June I read A Murder of Magpies by Judith Flanders (a good beach read), Murder in July by Barbara Hambly which was a good historical recreation of 1830 Paris and later 1830's New Orleans but not so great plot wise. I loved Larie King's latest Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes book (Island of the Mad) and decided to reread the entire series in order.

I also read Edison and the Rise of Innovation by Leonard DeGraaf which came from Bill Gates recommended reading list for summer and was interesting but not gripping! Quite different was Everything Happens for a Reason by Kate Bowler who talks about how "prosperity gospel" believers approach health and death issues as she deals with her own illness and rejects that approach. It took me back to my Mom's anger and distress over some of the things people said to her when she battled cancer 30 years ago.

There were other books started and not finished, a couple of not worth mentioning cozy mysteries and lots stacked on the table waiting to be read.

I'm back to joining in on Sentence a Day in July but this is my June summary instead.

13 comments:

  1. You did a lot of reading in June. I had a similar experience in a book club that had no assigned reading, just participants sharing what they had read. It created quite the reading list. The sentence in a day concept allows for a time of reflection. How often are you asked - so what are you up to? or What's new? It's easy to say - not much but a closer look reveals much more. The Saskatchewan road trip concluded June 6. That means catch-up at home with yard maintenance that included planting the annual flowers. Grass cutting doesn't go away and this year I'm also looking after my ageing mother's yard; my need for exercise and fresh air is satisfied. There was lots of socializing with BBQs, music festival, trips to visit family/friends. There was also the downside with 2 funerals to attend and caring for my mom's dying dog. There was lots of volunteer hours wrapping up the advertising strategy for the local community association, painting the new build at the rodeo grounds, and working in the concession there. I'm responsible for my mom's caretaking which involves arranging appointments, driving her to them, and ensuring she has some nourishing food at the ready. Yes, June was better than I remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You were one busy woman in June. What a variety of activities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it fun to document our days! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how sentence a day helps you remember the month. Here's hoping you're all on the mend. I read a heap in June, but somehow my to be read pile seems even bigger than it was at the end of May!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that you were able to read so much. The only reason I'm able to get a book read now is because I'm in a book club. But when I was a kid, I used to read almost a book a day (granted they were shorter books, and I had no responsibilities--ah the life!!)
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see you back! I'm sorry you all got so sick! I've stalled on my reading and need to get back to it! By this time last year, I'd read so many more books than this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a book discussion group where you can just talk about whatever you are already reading! All the ones around here assign books and quite frankly they aren't usually books I'm interested in reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is part of my new Women's Club which is part of the international women's club federation. Love the idea too and so far it is generating even more ideas of what to read.

      Delete
  8. How fortunate to have the opportunity to do so much reading! I love getting lost in a book but these days "I should ____" wins out over laying on the sofa reading a book. One splurge I gave myself this year was a subscription to Audible. I do a lot of driving so now at least I can listen to a book in the car. I like your bookclub format of everyone sharing what *they* had read vs everyone reading the same thing.

    Hope your July is starting off nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm retired but understand how busy life can be.

      Delete
  9. Hope you're all back to full health and July is going well for you, Juhli. Reading and socializing with family and friends are great activities. Look forward to reading your July SaD.

    ReplyDelete

Thriving Thursday Week 11

Happiness, Comfort & Health Woohoo! I walked over 10,000 steps outdoors one day (4.1 miles for this short person) for the first time sin...