Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Field Trip - Mini staycation

 


Our local newspaper put our a list of 50 things to do this summer in town and I decided it was time to implement Saturday field trips aka mini staycations.  We tend to get caught up in doing chores or just relaxing in the house and I want to get out more.  Today we went to the Sweet Auburn Curb Market which is the oldest public market in Atlanta and near the Martin Luther King historic district. The market first opened in 1918. Later in 1924, the building was constructed and still stands in the original location.  It was recently renovated and has an interesting mix of small restaurants, meat markets (anyone in the market to order a whole pig?), produce markets, a gift shop, a book store, a coffee shop, and more. 
 

 
We had lunch at Arepa Mi, a Venezuelan sandwich restaurant.  The sandwiches are contained between two corn griddle cakes and, although we both had vegetarian ones, tend towards shredded beef or chicken.  My husand's was beans, plantains and cheese while mine was seasonal vegetables.

We sat at a picnic table and started talking with a young woman from San Diego who was in town for a convention.  We lived in San Diego at one time and other places in southern California for many years so we had a lot to chat about.  She wanted suggestions on where else to explore today and restaurants.  We gave her a ride to Centennial Olympic Park as the walk would have been boring and very hot and humid.

All in all a lovely experience and exploration of a new place.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! We tend to do chores and hang close to home too, but you know what? I'm going to check out the paper and see if we can't get out and do something...:)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find some fun, interesting local things to do!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea that the paper put out the list. I have places I hope to get to this summer and fall in our area, now to find the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the list was a great ideas and it is a nice mix of no/low cost things and more expensive ones. We are considering about 5 more things on the list and were surprised at how many we have already done.

      Delete
  3. I tend to want to stay home most weekends or just catch up with my Grandchildren. I do this to save money as trips out can be so expensive, but I do like the sound of this so I may have to rethink my budget...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to have grandchildren! We don't and no family in this part of the country soooo - we entertain ourselves as best we can. We choose to go at lunchtime ($13 only) and parking was validated because we bought something. We usually look for free or very low cost activities so it is just the cost of travel which is minimal. Hope you can find some fun things in your budget.

      Delete

Focusing on ease of maintenance - Thriving Week 16

CURRENT MINIMALISM MINDSET  After one year in this house I’m not stopping decluttering or reorganizing as appropriate but every time I clean...